Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto question??

Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation Auto question??

A little off topic for this forum but I thought someone might have some input. An elderly women I work with has a 1999 grand Prix 3.8L A4 and she says that every couple of weeks when the car is warm it will want to shift Hard going thru the gears. She took it to some shop and the guy told her it was a relay and he would need to remove the transmission to replace it at a cost of $550. Sounds a little fishy to me? In my car the solenoids are in the trans pan and easy to get to. Is there anything I can tell her to try and help her out?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car has a 4t60-e front wheel drive the solenoids are on the valve body which is on the side of the trans the trans needs to get pulled out to get to them.The shop must of scanned for codes,can you get the code #s ? that would be a big help.It sounds like it might have a torque converter code and there are going to replace the pwm solenoid.Have her get a second opinion to really see what is going on.meanwhile see if you can get any codes.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
That car has a 4t60-e front wheel drive the solenoids are on the valve body which is on the side of the trans the trans needs to get pulled out to get to them.The shop must of scanned for codes,can you get the code #s ? that would be a big help.It sounds like it might have a torque converter code and there are going to replace the pwm solenoid.Have her get a second opinion to really see what is going on.meanwhile see if you can get any codes.
Thanx for the reply!! i hate to see older folks get ripped off. i will tell her and get back here with hopefully some more data.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know how the 2 car conpare , Ijust bought a 90 Buick Centry 3.8 with 94 k on it, drives and shift great as it warmd up it will miss a little and begain to shift very hard, bams and jerks at each/most shifts, I think need new trans, I ask the buick dealership to check it out , they quite me 100.00 to check problem , find one of three coil packs is bad,280 for parts/labor/diag out the door now shifts like a new car very happy with money spent. I would never think a coil pack miss would cause hard shifts.
just fixed my problem, ask the lady if any miss with hard shift.
Johnny

Search this Thread