Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car vibrates at idle. need new converter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car vibrates at idle. need new converter?

ok well car is 2000 ss with A4 rebuilt at 83,000 miles. Car has 110,xxx now. like i said when the car is warm and idles at 500 IN GEAR, there is a vibration. It goes away when the car is in neutral or park, and the idle goes back up to about 600. Ive heard this is a sign that the stock converter is going out. Is this true? all motor and tranny mounts are stock as far as i know. I bought the car with 93,xxx on it.
If I do need a new converter, I'm gonna go ahead and put a stall in it. Money is tight as always so best bang for buck would be my first option. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it goes away in neutral and park it is not the torque converter.... I would be looking at motor mounts and transmission mounts. A converter will only vibrate if it is improperly balanced, this vibration will be present anytime the engine is spinning as the converter is spinning too..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your air conditioning is going out..

in all reality lol.. its probably mounts being worn out.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

lol.. my car did the exact same thing.. it was my tranny mount.. get the LT1 style like I did and it will save you about $70... dont put a poly mount back in.. that shaft needs to be able to flex on the mount or you risk cracking the tail shaft. Even if you have poly MMs, still put a softer mount on the tranny...
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
lol.. my car did the exact same thing.. it was my tranny mount.. get the LT1 style like I did and it will save you about $70... dont put a poly mount back in.. that shaft needs to be able to flex on the mount or you risk cracking the tail shaft. Even if you have poly MMs, still put a softer mount on the tranny...
ok thanks for the response. can you give me some parts numbers? if not poly then what is it? solid? arent you not supposed to have the motor mounts and tranny mount the same material?

thanks again
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

unless you have solid mounts, your motor is gonna move in the cradle... that movement goes all the way to the tail shaft.. if the motor moves and the tranny doesnt want to, guess what? Broken tailshaft.... LOTS of guys have had this happen.. make sure the MMs are stiffer than the tranny mount.. I got my LTx mount from Orileys I think... Just order a tranny mount for a 97 LT1 Camaro with a 4l60e... cost is about $13 plus tax... but you will have to buy a Nut and thick washer to fit it since your factory ls1 mount has a different stud on it... its also about $70 more than the LT mount...
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
unless you have solid mounts, your motor is gonna move in the cradle... that movement goes all the way to the tail shaft.. if the motor moves and the tranny doesnt want to, guess what? Broken tailshaft.... LOTS of guys have had this happen.. make sure the MMs are stiffer than the tranny mount.. I got my LTx mount from Orileys I think... Just order a tranny mount for a 97 LT1 Camaro with a 4l60e... cost is about $13 plus tax... but you will have to buy a Nut and thick washer to fit it since your factory ls1 mount has a different stud on it... its also about $70 more than the LT mount...
is this it?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2251&ppt=C0338

and this one is the ls1 4l60e mount?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2251&ppt=C0338

so the bolt/stud in the actual mount is just a different thread size than the stock mount? meaning the nut and washer already on my car will need to be the correct size?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

just replaced the tranny mount. got rid of about half the vibration. im guessing i still need motor mounts. thanks for the help man

Quick Reply: car vibrates at idle. need new converter?