Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft shifting 4L80E

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft shifting 4L80E

I installed a 4L80E in my Chevelle recently that was freshly built and used the Optishift management system. After I was done with the project I road tested the car but wasn’t happy with the soft shifting. I did a little research and decided to install a Transgo shift kit, the 4L80E-HD2. I followed the instruction exactly as described. I even drilled the separator plate the largest size of .120 to accommodate the stall converter. After this was done the road test showed that the 1-2 shift was slightly better but the other up shifts seemed to be the same. Does anybody know what the secret may be? I’m stumped and I even googled this with no real cure.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a pressure gauge on it to see what line pressure is during shifts.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Michigan and the roads didn't allow me many roadtests.Today was a day that I got a chance to drive the car and put some miles on. What I discovered was that under light throttle the car shifts fine, just not firm. While driving harder or WOT it shifts much firmer. So with that being said, I guess there isn't really a problem. I guess I'm just used to the old TH400 that shifted much firmer, even with light to moderate throttle.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 CHEVELLE SS
I live in Michigan and the roads didn't allow me many roadtests.Today was a day that I got a chance to drive the car and put some miles on. What I discovered was that under light throttle the car shifts fine, just not firm. While driving harder or WOT it shifts much firmer. So with that being said, I guess there isn't really a problem. I guess I'm just used to the old TH400 that shifted much firmer, even with light to moderate throttle.
Then you should be able to modify it (or have it modified) in the tune.

Quick Reply: Soft shifting 4L80E