Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with the converter being to tight in the crankshaft.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with the converter being to tight in the crankshaft.

I mated my powerglide with my motor and installed it a few weeks ago, and i had no problems with the mate, or anything. But now that i am about to bolt the converter to the flywheel it seems that the converter nose is really really tight in the crankshaft. It will spin slightly, but not move forwards and backwards.

Would there be any real downside to just putting a spacer in and bolting it up as it sits fully seated in the transmission?

The converter is perfectly straight, and brand new.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to have some pull back on the converter out of the transmission. To make sure you are not blocking flow. Do you have a set of calipers? Can you measure the converter pilot?

Chris
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Circle-D
You need to have some pull back on the converter out of the transmission. To make sure you are not blocking flow. Do you have a set of calipers? Can you measure the converter pilot?

Chris
Well the trany is in the car, and im trying to see if there is anyway to not have to take it back out. If i took it out then yes i would measure it, and if its to tight, just put it on a lathe and take a few thousands off.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had exactly the same problem with my th350 i have an 8 inch tci tc in mine and the problem was the pilot it had an extention press fitted on it which i never noticed i thought it was part of the tc wasnt till i looked at another converter
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

She getting pulled this weekend, once i find out something i will post up details.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Good move! Inspect the pilot and also the snout of the converter for burs. If all looks well I would test fit the converter to the flexplate/engine to see it there is an issue with the pilot being to long or like said if its not the correct size. Like Chris said converter spacing is very important. Let us know what you find.

Search this Thread