Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions of shift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Opinions of shift kits?

I have the stock transmission on my 99 ws6, (112k miles), I was looking at these shift kits and was curious to see if they are worth it?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-rebuild-kits/

They sound good, do they give u the ability to choose which gear? Or is it just improved shifting? Any suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have only had experience with the trans go kits. i have had them put in three cars so far and i really like them. the owners do too. they are the only kit my guy uses.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put in a trans go hd2. it shifted alot harder making the car feel alot peppier. nothing like feeling the car bark 2nd. and im only on the 2 washer setting. the kit is more complete and highly recommended. summit has the best price i could find on ebay.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The Trans-Go HD2 seems to be THE go-to kit for the 60e. Tons of builders use them daily. My local builder suggests them also.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like the Trans-Go HD2 is the one I'll be getting.
One last question, (more like advice), do you think its ok to run it on a transmission with 112k miles? I'll do a fluid swap on it first just to make sure.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will tell you the advice of local service shops when I purchased an HD2 long ago with my 3200 converter. They (transmission shops) do not feel comfortable doing an internal dis-assembly on a 100k trans without putting new clutches in it and replacing worn down parts. And I can kind of understand that. So, realistically you should plan to have the trans redone at the same time of install. What I did was hook up with a good local tuner, and had him tune the trans through HPTuners and sold the HD2 kit here on the board. Trans lived well, and I sold it to a buddy and its still living.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I will tell you the advice of local service shops when I purchased an HD2 long ago with my 3200 converter. They (transmission shops) do not feel comfortable doing an internal dis-assembly on a 100k trans without putting new clutches in it and replacing worn down parts. And I can kind of understand that. So, realistically you should plan to have the trans redone at the same time of install. What I did was hook up with a good local tuner, and had him tune the trans through HPTuners and sold the HD2 kit here on the board. Trans lived well, and I sold it to a buddy and its still living.
Yeah, 112k miles is definitely a lot on a stock transmission.
How much did your rebuild/install charge?

I guess I'm looking for guesstimates, my transmission never shifts hard and the timing on shifting is good as well...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Local "stock" rebuilders wanted about $1400 for an across the bench build, meaning I drop the trans off to them, and it would be built back to stock specs. I found a semi-local guy who rebuilds lot of 60s for the drag race guys who did it for $950 across the bench, and that was with the HD2, beast sunshell, roller sprag and some other crap. It ended up being $1050 total because the drum where the 2/4 band grabbed was worn past usable level (I took him a core to rebuild). I got lucky finding such a good builder. If you are wanting to stay local I suggest finding some racers and asking who builds their stuff. Otherwise, any of the sponsors can get you into a nice unit.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Local "stock" rebuilders wanted about $1400 for an across the bench build, meaning I drop the trans off to them, and it would be built back to stock specs. I found a semi-local guy who rebuilds lot of 60s for the drag race guys who did it for $950 across the bench, and that was with the HD2, beast sunshell, roller sprag and some other crap. It ended up being $1050 total because the drum where the 2/4 band grabbed was worn past usable level (I took him a core to rebuild). I got lucky finding such a good builder. If you are wanting to stay local I suggest finding some racers and asking who builds their stuff. Otherwise, any of the sponsors can get you into a nice unit.
Yeah I have a feeling its going to give out sooner or later down the road.
Which, 1400 isn't all that bad. But I'd MUCH rather have a 1,000 like yours

Gah. I hate living in Utah, simply for the fact most auto stuff here is overpriced and what not. I know of a few local speed shops that are smaller. I guess its time to just start calling in and finding out info!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, do you recommend any of the sponsors more then another?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly buddy, they all seem good. I've cruised a lot of threads in my days here, and they all seem real stand up. I'd say call em all up and talk the build over with them. FLT and Performabuilt are the two I've heard the most about.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Im a manager and builder at a shop in MA. And its just my opinion but it couldnt hurt to try putting in the shift kit and see what happens. Who knows it might work for a while before you need a rebuild. But eventually you will no matter what. Hell give it a try! also the components that the shift kit says you have to take the tranny apart for can go in when you do rebuild the tranny. It wont hurt anything not putting them in now and the shift kit will work just fine still. good luck!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I greatly prefer transmissions with Trans Go kits over B&M.

I had a th350 with a B&M and my little brother had a th400 with a B&M. Both felt like they were "banging gears" and had an unnatural feel to them.

Rebuilt the th350 with a trans go and went a little overboard, it was still really firm and chirped second even at light throttle, but it didn't feel so savage.

Next had a 700r4 with a trans go and it was really firm partial and full throttle but still felt nice.

My current 4l60e has a HD2 trans go kit and it is 100% perfect. Stock feel on light throttle shifts and firm enough to spin street tires hitting 2nd, third is a nice positive shift with no spin.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a lot of great information guys I really appreciate it.
I'll definitely get the Trans Go HD2 kit with a 4l60e.

I'm almost wondering, would it be "better" to just buy a new 4l60e thats built from a sponsor, (like one of the level 1 or 2s from Performabuilt), and buy the kit then and have them install it then?

Or do you think a rebuild would be a better option?

Cuz from my point of view, if to rebuild it it costs 1300-1500 w/install of the kit.
And a new one costs just a few hundred more...
Why not spend the few hundred more to get 112k less miles (current), and a 2-3 year warranty?

I've always been afraid of the word "rebuild" when it comes to cars...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First of all, the Transgo HD is really three kits in one - A shift improver kit, a .500 boost valve and a high-rpm spring kit. Unless you rebuild the trans, the high-rpm spring kit is not installed. The rest generally only requires removing the pan and valve body. The entire trans does not need to be removed, although removing/installing the 2-4 servo can be difficult with the trans in the car.
I don't have the experience to answer whether it should be installed in a 112K mile trans, but gofasterdammit thinks it should be ok; I don't see how it would hurt anything.

Assuming you decide to just install the HD kit and skip the rebuild:
From what I read, it is recommended to carefully check the AFL valve in the valve body as it is in constant motion and has a tendency to wear out its aluminum bore. This wear reduces pressure to the clutches and some people think is a frequent reason the 3/4 clutches fail. So, you might have an experienced trans builder check the valve body; Sonnax makes a repair kit to fix this frequent problem. One builder told me he replaces the AFL valve on any trans over 100K (which might be overkill or BS).
I'm no trans expert - just my thoughts.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had bought a Trans-Go kit, but it looked challenging to
get right (I was supposed to drill stuff to suit, and drill
again if I didn't like it, etc. - crappy instructions, too) and
by the time I got done tweaking the trans settings in the
tune, I was happy and didn't feel the need to put the kit
in.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I had bought a Trans-Go kit, but it looked challenging to
get right (I was supposed to drill stuff to suit, and drill
again if I didn't like it, etc. - crappy instructions, too) and
by the time I got done tweaking the trans settings in the
tune, I was happy and didn't feel the need to put the kit
in.
Agreed that the Transgo instructions are the worst I have ever seen. Like a very impatient teacher who is just daring you to make a mistake.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

LOL the instructions arent that bad lol just take your time and make sure to cross off what you complete with a black sharpie and you will do fine.

Quick Reply: Opinions of shift kits?