Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InstallUniversity TH400 conversion from M6: Follow along

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Install Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can see below the brackets that are going to be fitted tonight. Not the first to do this I am sure. Simple works.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Install Director

If you installed a trans temp gauge, where did you tap in at? The pan?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Install Director

Any advice on trans line routing? I can't see a good way to do this unless I go through the air dam. I am not sold on that idea.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Install Director

An update on the progress.

The trans cooler has been mounted but required removal of the windshield washer reservoir and upper and lower shrouds.

I ordered my hoses from Ormes and they are AN -6 and look awesome. The baddest of the bad (stainless over teflon).

Suspension parts are being painted pewter metallic to match the car.

I should be down to the shifter, a few gauges, and tuning in a few weeks.

More to come...

Latest progress here
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Install Director

I have gotten down right **** about the routing of the trans lines. I have them wraped in heat protectant mesh and routed. I have the lines connected to the trans.

I just have to zip tie them up in a few places.

In the mean time I removed the passenger side Mac mid-length header to make this easier. 30 minutes later I felt like I just got plowed by Hulk Hogan. Why can no one make a header that goes in and out without clearance issues?

This is not going to happen again I can tell you that. I am going to shave or cut the tab on the block that is hanging me up before the header goes back in.

So far, I think I have the longest trans swap in history going on.

Cooler is mounted.

I just keep getting side tracked. Stay tuned! I have chosen HP Tuners as my tuning software of choice. I would just like to ask them if they are still in active development because some have a new beta and some don't.

I am also wavering on getting a set of long tube headers and having them jet hot coated inside and out to reduce the heat on the trans lines. I just want to be back driving, that's what I know!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Install Director

The trans oil pan has been tapped for the trans temp gauge. You see the 1/4" NPT bushing installed. :-)

Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished up my TH400 swap as well. I bought a B&M deep dish aluminum pan and it came already tapped with 1/8NPT hole that comes plugged for a temp sensor. Sure enough, I bought me an Autometer ultra-light trans temp gauge and the sensor that comes with it fits right in! One less hassle on my end.

I will say however that one thing I do not like about the B&M pan is that hardly any shufter bracket will fit on it without modification. Now for me, this wasnt a big deal, had it modded up in less than 15 minutes, but some people might choose to not mess with that.

Where did you route your cable through the floor on your car? I did mine behind the dash straight through the floor and it comes out pretty much right above the dipstick tube. Then my cable goes around the back of the tranny and right onto the shifter bracket.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a quick picture of mine.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Install Director

Interesting mount for your trans cooler. It looks like you got the one stage above mine that includes the fan.

I would love to see photo's of your driver side of the transmission.

I am fitting long tube headers this weekend. I had bad tolerances with my mac mid-lengths and after finally getting the passenger side header out, I decided to go back with long tubes. The passenger side went back in with no trouble. I just have to bolt them up and grind just a tad on my k-member where they look pressed together and welded where the collector turns back towards the car.

I have not got to the shifter yet. I am basically making that the very last thing I fool with. Do you have any photo's of your shifter plate mounted up? Did you raise your shifter any at all?

What stall are you running? I have a 4000 in my car. Should make for lots of noise.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Install Director

I also just noticed we are going to be running same style torque arms.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

I will try to get some pics for you soon. I did not raise my shifter at all though, and I made my own plate. I am running a FTI 3600 rpm stall in mine right now. It has been pretty fun so far. My torque arm is the Spohn chromolly chassis mount. I am satisfied with it so far.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Install Director

Next up is my shifter. Any advice on mounting plate dimensions?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Why did you purchase the crossmember, I thought if you were running a 4" tail shaft the stock t-56 member would work. I'm researching an auto swap myself and this was the impression I was under.
The stock T-56 crossmember will work with the TH400 if you install a spacer inbetween the transmount and the stock crossmember. I used/machined a small block of aluminum. I have solid motor mounts and just measured the distance between the transmount and crossmember and made the block to fit. The trans. mounting bolts go thru the block. After spending 1K on a torque converter, I tried to save a little money. It does not look as good as the BMR crossmember though.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever get the shifter in?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Install Director

Originally Posted by NBMZ/28
Did you ever get the shifter in?
Not yet but I am close. I got really side tracked on a bunch of nothing. I did get my headers coated (inside and out) and am bolting them in.

Maybe, just maybe, I will get the shifter in this week or next.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Default trans brake

where do you wire in trans brake to activate , and what do you use to control rpm ?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Install Director

A thumb button on a T handle from B&M.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Install Director

Headers are in. Trans cooler connected to the hoses. Trans cooler mounted in front of A/C condenser up and and to the passenger side.

Forgot to install dipstick tube into transmission. I hope I can lower rear of transmission and install it or I have to go another route.

This leaves shifter, driveshaft, BMR track pack, temp gauge in A pillar cluster, and tuning.

Progress comes with warmer weather it seems.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Install Director

Shift cover plate and shifter installation part 1.

I am close and it has only taken a few years to get here.

I had a custom shifter cover plate laser cut for me with the existing six speed boot self tapping holes cut. If you are interested in purchasing this in aluminum, let me know. It made this job go a lot faster and easier (even though it is already a simple process).

Catch up here.

Next up. Install the shifter cable.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Install Director

Car is running. Pulls hard. I have a few things to polish up but I am 95% there. The last 5% doesn't even need to be done.

I will try to post some photos soon.

Needs:

Speedometer (I have the connectors to make the connection from harness to transmission, just need to do it)

Neutral lockout switch (Anyone have a lead on the connector I can plug into the switch without having to cut the wires? Casper's Electronics does not carry the connector for it but they can say it is Delphi and either a metripack 150 or 280. Not really sure what that means.

Trans Temp gauge hook up (I installed the important stuff into the pan so it is a simple wire up at this point)

Custom shift boot for my B&M Pro Ratchet. Have to find the boot maker.

Reverse lights coming on when in reverse. Straight forward wire up.

Odds and ends. All together, this car pulls hard. Top speed is about 120 mph on normal height tires.

Quick Reply: InstallUniversity TH400 conversion from M6: Follow along