Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Driveshaft Siezed onto trans output shaft.. need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e Driveshaft Siezed onto trans output shaft.. need ideas

Bought a new to me LS1 w/4l60e along with the driveshaft already attached. At the wrecking yard, I tried to remove it and couldnt, even with a few good blows with a 2lb sledge it didnt budge. I got home and gave it another dozen or more blows with a 2lb sledge and nothing. My only guess would be to burn the u-joint out to remove joint and tail shaft, and heat the yoke up and try again? anyone have any ideas?
This combo is going in my 5 series BMW

thanks,
clint
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

I would not use much/any heat on yoke close to the trans. Go to harber freight , 2 ton hand wench( 5-8.00 bucks) , tie the trans to one tree and the wench to another as you pull apart tap with the hammer, if stuck that tight may have hurt the trans.
ps: if you no got 2 trees tie it between 2 cars
Johnny
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Launching!

hurm, maybe i should seperate the motor and trans, take the trans back and ask for a refund on trans.... seems the ls1 4l60e dont have a park reverse neutral drive switch.module on the gear selector like the truck engines have... are the transmissions diffrerent in gear ratio? or just they dont incorporate that module?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 AM

There are two different linkage shafts to incorporate the P/N switch. I myself would unbolt the tail to get a better look at things. If you find some damage call the yard your purchased this from and see what they want to do.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The gear ratios of all 4L60E are the same.
The "park reverse neutral drive switch" is not critical for a swap as many aftermarket shifters have their own switches that work perfectly with the PCM. IIRC there is a Park/Neutral wire and a Reverse wire; e.g. the B&M shifter has corresponding switches.

However not being able to pull the joke off is strange and you might just want to get a different trans. For one thing this is a slip yoke which moves in and out as the rear suspension moves up and down. If it is firmly stuck to the trans output shaft, it would have placed huge strain on the trans and likely damaged parts internally, if not cracked the entire case.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Launching!

a quick search showed a picture with the tail shaft removed.... te output shaft was still in the trans. I dunno, gonna apply a little heat to the yoke tomarrow and see what happens. the yoke wont be reused at this point.
clint

Quick Reply: 4l60e Driveshaft Siezed onto trans output shaft.. need ideas