Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80 Help.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with my 4L80?

Let start with the info on the tranny, it's a 2000 4L80 that has 40 K on it. OK, I installed a Transgo 4L80E-3 kit in it, this kit eliminates the computer so that the driver has full control over shifts. The trans was then installed in my Daily 1988 Crew Cab Chevy 454. It shifts from 1st to second just fine, but when I shift from 2nd to 3rd or drive it does nothing, then from drive to OD it shifts. Transgo said this was 2nd gear overdrive, not 4th, Max MPH I can get it like 45 before I'm at 3k RPMs. If I back off the throttle and try to "hold" the MPH it slows down but also the RPMs fall like it's in OD but will not hold soon as the throttle is pressed it goes right back to 3k RPMs. I found some information that the comfort setting does not work on this kit, so we pulled the valve body off again and drilled the spacer plate for the all out mode and cleaned up the 3 to 4 shift plunger and put it all back together and no change at all. I am stumped, I also seen on this board that I can remove the 3<4 checkball. Think that would help ? What Transgo said to check was in the valve body. It all was installed correctly. Reverse works just fine. Thank You for any information you can provide.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think TransGo is probably correct that you have 2nd w/ OD acting as 3rd.
The third gear circuit with that kit is pretty direct so to not have third gear makes me think you may have a problem with the third clutches but it could be a blockage in the plate or an issue at the 2-3 shift valve or 3rd/rev checkball.

Can you send me a clear pic of the VB looking down at the 2-3 shift valve?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I think TransGo is probably correct that you have 2nd w/ OD acting as 3rd.
The third gear circuit with that kit is pretty direct so to not have third gear makes me think you may have a problem with the third clutches but it could be a blockage in the plate or an issue at the 2-3 shift valve or 3rd/rev checkball.

Can you send me a clear pic of the VB looking down at the 2-3 shift valve?
Sure will. I get home tonight I'll get a Picture taken and posted Thank You.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Sorry Jake, I'm stupid busy. I'll get out there and get the pics taken for you.
I did find another set of Instructions out there and they say 2007 on them and the ones I got with the kit have 2009 on them ?? The post for the 2007 says the kit worked great ? I was wondering if using those would help ?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Well I got the Transmission out and pulled it appart one more time to look at it, and I found this. Is this the correct spring for the 3/4 shift valve ? The one in the transgo instructions looks a lot smaller ? If this spring is wrong and it wont let the valve move then it won't shift ? Correct ?
Attached Thumbnails 4L80 Help.-709162965_2534422389_0.jpeg