Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?

Well here's a few photos and basic descriptions of the components that would go into your Stage 2 4L60E should you decide to have one built for yourself! This is the most popular transmission to have been built at ACE Racing over the years so I thought it would only be prudent to depict those internal parts for this discussion.

This is not all inclusive as since this photo was taken I have since added new Reverse Input Drums to each and every build. No corners are cut, not one. It's always been that way, and it always will be. Period. What you see is what you get. Some of you may have seen this before, but I thought it would be useful for some of the new guys or for folks who aren't familiar with ACE's units.

I've seen several threads over the years where guys ask about what parts they should purchase for their transmission. And what better way to talk about it than to show the parts in as much detail as possible!

This is pretty much everything on the bench except for the tranny itself. In the back is the Trans-Go HD-2 Reprogramming kit that all of the hydraulic mods are based on. (I do not use all of the components, nor do I use their recommended spec's for the valve body separator plate.) After building many countless units successfully, for me it is a proven tool to use when taking a stock unit to a high performance level.

Here you can see a new Kevlar band that is wider and has heavier anchors than a stock band. In addition, a dual cage input sprag, a heavy duty Borg Warner low roller clutch, a billet accumulator piston (option), Sonnax High RPM pump slider spring, and heavy duty pump rotor/vain rings, teflon coated pump,converter bushing and other various bushings.

Detailed pic of the bushings.

Here you can see the new electronics which include shift solenoids, wiring harness, etc. Also, there is a Beast sunshell, and a Trans-Go 46-Mod vacuum modulator kit (optional). At the bottom are new 3/4 clutch reaction and apply plates.

Looking towards the bottom of this pic you can see examples of the new clutches (including the custom ACE Racing 8 clutch 3/4 stack) that would go into your unit along with the new Trans-Go valve body separator plate that is highly modified for performance and racing applications.

And of course, last but not least... all of the gasket, filters and seals are replaced with new pieces.

What is not depicted in the photo's but is standard, is the addition of the ACE Racing custom sleeve kit that prevents the input shaft from cracking or exploding the input drum hub that it is pressed into. Like I said earlier here, this list is not all inclusive... mainly because I've improved the "recipe" and these pics were taken based on a specific client's needs. Every transmission is custom built specific to the given client's application and needs. You will not find one transmission that is on the shelf waiting to be sold at ACE.

Obviously I've include a few optional parts, but those were for that particular build. If you require billet shafts, bullet accumulator pistons, a billet band servo or a highly recommended billet over running clutch piston... then yes I offer those as well and can help you decide what you need or don't need in your combination.

If you have any questions just ask here or feel free to give me a call!

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 02-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you like the new GM sunshell,is it true that the "beast"s not a balanced part?

also i hear some builders like the Borg Clutch packs vers the others(slip my mind on the name),how do your compare to the borg's
thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

The Beast is not balanced. However... the vast majority of components in the rotating assembly are not either. And if they are, they are "zero" balanced for total runout on themselves. Automatic transmissions are not balanced like an engine is, so I don't get much heartburn about the shell not being balanced to be honest.

You are referring to Borg Warner High Energy clutches. Yes those are the clutches I use in my 3/4 clutch pack. I do not use a "pre-packaged" clutch pack such as a Z-Pak or anything similar. I have tried them all over the years and found that there is a certain balancing act between the clutches and the hydraulics. Now, that being said... any 4L60E that is seeing rowdy horsepower and is being driven hard will go through the 3/4 clutches from time to time. It's the nature of the beast.

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 02-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

have you tried the new sonnax "beast" style sun shell?.......and if this is a stage 2......what goes in a stage 3?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
have you tried the new sonnax "beast" style sun shell?.......and if this is a stage 2......what goes in a stage 3?
I have, and I do like it. It is a nice piece... it does come at a higher price. But yeah I do like it as it's rollerized. But, it really isn't just a drop in piece as output assembly end play needs to be checked closely when using this piece. I've seen it change quite a bit as compared to a stock piece or a Beast.

The main difference between the two builds is the addition of the 5 pin planets. But, keep in mind that the biggest reason I use the term "Stage" is for comparison's sake between different shops. I rarely build the same unit twice. Meaning, I will take the overall combination and intended use into consideration before I move into a build with anyone. That's why you see me asking guys to call me so often here and on other forums.

g
Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I have three sun shells including "The Beast" and the Sonnax "Smart Shell" and an original from a 2001 trans. Here are my measurements and observations:

GM 2001 Sunshell: Thickness is 0.112"; not heat treated

Sonnax Smart Shell; Thickness is 0.112; the tabs are heat treated

"The Beast": Thickness is 0.144; does not appear to be heat treated

The Sonnax is a new heat-treated GM unit modified with an additional plate on the bottom to both strengthen that area and support a torrington bearing. The kit also includes a custom roller clutch race.

At least in pre-4L65E units, any lateral thrust on the sun shell is largely transmitted to the sun gear which transmits it to the small-ish torrington bearing in the rear planetary. Some people claim this is what kills the rear planetary - the wear on this bearing and resulting heat. The Sonnax Smart Shell claims to solve this problem by transferring the lateral thrust to much stronger structures.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/77749-02K.pdf

http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/32...pdf?1312490893

I was told that "The Beast" can also be used with a torrington bearing; I don't know if that will have the same benefits as the Smart Shell. (I am still experimenting with all these parts and combinations.)
The following users liked this post:
matermark (06-23-2021)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got a 6.0l lq4 motor drop out an looking for a 4l80e tranny would u have any that u would want to sale?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

In my experience I have seen one Beast shell come back damaged. And it was not due to the failure of the part itself.

This particular unit lost a dual cage input sprag which allowed the input assemebly to see excessive rpm's on a 3-1 forced downshift at WOT. I'll hunt the photos, but basically it "swelled" up, or bowed out. Without saying too much, I was asked to send it back to the mfgr. and it was replaced with a new piece. But, once again, in my opinion it was only compromised because it's rpm limitations were exceeded. It is the only one I've ever seen that was wounded in many countless years of building these at a high level. Not saying they don't fail, but I haven't seen it happen.

Fact is, nobody has the "Holy Grail" of sunshells. Yes, GM has recognized the need for a better part based on warranty concerns and the aftermarket has responded as well. I have installed all of the shells mentioned myself. And indeed there will be a better part to come down the pipeline in the future from one of those mfgrs. That much I do know.

It's through discussions like these that everybody learns and get's caught up with the changes with what's out there!

g
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69blackwhss
I just got a 6.0l lq4 motor drop out an looking for a 4l80e tranny would u have any that u would want to sale?
Not sure what you're asking... if you need a core or used unit. I do not sell cores.

If you would like an 80E built at any level to take sick power, I can build you one if you like. I have many, many 80e's living just fine in rowdy combinations.

g
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

just want to give a shout out to ace transmissions bc he has help me out on my trans problems in the fall of last year. He pointed me in the right direction and took his time to explain to me about what was going on with my unit and gave me great advice on what to do. While at the same time it wasnt even one of his units, he didnt try to sell me not one single thing he just simply help me get my ride back going and the way i look at it if he helps a person like that imagine what he will do for u if u buy one of units. So in the future for my next trans he has my buisness with out a doubt!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gil, thanks for the insight on your insides.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by los p
just want to give a shout out to ace transmissions bc he has help me out on my trans problems in the fall of last year. He pointed me in the right direction and took his time to explain to me about what was going on with my unit and gave me great advice on what to do. While at the same time it wasnt even one of his units, he didnt try to sell me not one single thing he just simply help me get my ride back going and the way i look at it if he helps a person like that imagine what he will do for u if u buy one of units. So in the future for my next trans he has my buisness with out a doubt!!
Thanks for giving back, I do appreciate the kind words. I'm glad I was able to help enough that you would feel compelled to come here and say that.

I do what I can to help everyone, all the time. It isn't just about what I do. Bottom line is, what we do comes with a high degree of difficulty in the high performance automatic transmission world.

Everyone needs a leg up sometimes. Whether it's a client with a street car or a client who races in the Sportsman or Pro Mod ranks... it's all relative to me. I earn my living every day just like the next guy ya know.

Thanks again, I'm truly glad I could make a positive difference for you and your car!

g
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by joecar
Gil, thanks for the insight on your insides.
I appreciate that Joe. I have nothing but respect for you sir.

I have listened with interest when you chime in to the technical discussions we've had here over the years, always have... always will. You bring a very distinct perspective to the table that a guy can learn from, all the time.

g
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you a PM G...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I sent you a PM G...
Thanks for looking me up! Stay in touch and I'll get you fixed up as soon as you can get it to me!

g
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gil, thank you sir; likewise
Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

could you elaborate a little more on the clutch packs and why you use what you use? i know the debate can be endless......but i am curious as your take on the matter

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?