Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand alone TCM or use stock harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stand alone TCM or use stock harness?

I'm in the middle of a 4l60e to 4l80e swap in my 94 LT1. My trans was removed and I zip tied my engine harness to my flexplate so it wouldn't drag on the ground. Well apparently my brother started up my car and it completely shredded the wire harness and wrapped around the crank taking out the rear main seal .
The only wires damaged are for the main transmission plug and VSS.

I'm trying to decide what would be the best route to fix this. I spent a lot of time on my engine harness removing unused connectors and wires as well as all new tubing. My original plan before this happened was to re-pin the harness to let the stock lt1 computer control my 4l80e.

Should I buy a new custom engine harness and continue my plan? New harness would cost ~$500-$600. I still would need an adapter harness for the 4l80e.

Get a stand alone controller like "optishift" for ~$500 and just cut off the stock harness wires? Does it need any of the stock wiring to control the optishift?

Any other options? The 4l80e swap is new to me so I don't know exactly what I'm up against. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I would probably run it using the stock PCM, buy a harness pigtail from Speartech, LSXTune, or other vendor and just pin it back in in place of what you had, making the alterations for the 4L80E. PM "slow67" for details on how to use the 4L60E segment for the 4L80E with tuning.

I think that would be the lowest cost method as well as the most efficient. The OptiShift is a great product and works well but I always like to integrate the electronics as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Stand alone TCM or use stock harness?