Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e questions

I have a 08 4l80e with hardly anymiles on it, Its a gm remanufactured unit. I bought a ck performance manual valve body and transbrake setup a few weeks ago. Chris told me that it didnt require any internal mods like jakes does. Well I get it and open the box and guess what. It says the same internal mods are recomended. Are these mods something you would say a mechanical guy could do at home? Ive rebuilt and built motors for my car a few times and im good at it, but Ive never been inside a tranny before. What all special tools do I need? The CK performance instuctions are less than great. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Dustin
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

How much do you think a good local shop would charge to put it in for me?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call CK Performance and have them walk you through it
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What mods do they recommend?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Call CK Performance and have them walk you through it
+1.

Mike
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

The dual feed modification and bleed hole dont have to be done for it to function but will enhance performance of 2/3 shift and brake release.There is a second vent hole below the brake valve that assists in dumping the 3rd clutch when the solenoid is disengaged.If you need any information phone in and we can walk you thru it.If you are apprehensive you can send it in for a refund. I have no problem with that either.I didnt mention anyones products,only that it could be done without disassembly of the trans.I dont follow the patterns of other companies and try to avoid any product comparisons and side by sides on the company website or during a sales or tech call.

Last edited by chris718; 02-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Drivn2Fast
What mods do they recommend?
Says to drill a hole in the drum and pull out some seals.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen my thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ap-begins.html

I'm using Jake's transbrake and did the same thing (dual feed mod and hold in direct drum). Only thing special you'll need is a lip seal installer to get the piston back in the drum and some kind of clamp setup to compress the spring. BUY THE ATSG MANUAL. In the grand scheme of things, the $25 investment is completely worth it. If you can do an engine rebuild, you can tear apart a 4l80e. The only thing I didn't do myself was drill the hole. I discovered that the drum in the transmission I bought was cracked and ordered a new one from Jake's and they went ahead and drilled the hole for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Have you seen my thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ap-begins.html

I'm using Jake's transbrake and did the same thing (dual feed mod and hold in direct drum). Only thing special you'll need is a lip seal installer to get the piston back in the drum and some kind of clamp setup to compress the spring. BUY THE ATSG MANUAL. In the grand scheme of things, the $25 investment is completely worth it. If you can do an engine rebuild, you can tear apart a 4l80e. The only thing I didn't do myself was drill the hole. I discovered that the drum in the transmission I bought was cracked and ordered a new one from Jake's and they went ahead and drilled the hole for me.
I went ahead and bought a lip installer tool for the 4l80e and the atsg manual. Looks like ill be diving into this next weekend

Quick Reply: 4l80e questions