Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 Unlocking Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4 Unlocking Torque Converter

Hey guys. I've got a problem with my converter and wanted to know what you guys think the issue could be. This started a couple of weeks ago. The converter intermittently locks and unlocks. Its most noticiable on the freeway. I'll be driving along at 70mph in overdrive and the converter will unlock. I didn't hit the brakes, take my foot off the gas or manually downshift. The converter just unlocks on its own. Sometimes it will lock back up and sometimes it won't.

Here is some info on the car:

When the car hit 166,000 miles I replaced the original L98 with an AC Delco remaufactured L98 and had it installed at the local GM dealership. Its still all stock.

The transmission is not stock. About 5 years ago the pump in the stock trans went out at 175,000 miles. I bought a level 2 bowtie overdrives 700r4 and 2200 rpm stall converter. Up until now I have just done regular fluid and filter changes and have had no issues with the transmission or converter.

I've got 192,000 miles on the car now. 26,000 miles on the rebuilt motor and 17,000 on the rebuilt trans.

The check engine light is also not on but I'll scan for trouble codes anyway just to make sure. About a month a go I had to replace the maf sensor that went bad. I replaced it and cleared the trouble code from the computer.

The only other mods to the car are these: 1 5/8'' hooker emissions legal headers (I live in California so I have to deal with emissions), high flow cat and 3'' flowmaster cat back exhaust.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could have a defective pressure switch inside the tranny on the valve body, a defective TCC apply solenoid, intermittent ground, worn converter clutch etc...

I would lean more to a worn converter clutch though. What is the fluid condition? You might drop the pan to inspect it for debris, and also to verify there are no loose wiring terminals.

g
Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I'll have to drop the pan and check the fluid tomorrow. The fluid is still pink/red and dosen't smell like its burned up. When the stock trans pump failed the fluid smelled burnt and was dark red in color.

Quick Reply: 700r4 Unlocking Torque Converter