Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm 5 pinion planetarys

Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gm 5 pinion planetarys

hey guys i have been looking high and low but can not find any part numbers for the factory gm 5 pinion planetarys. i can find aftermarket ones but i think there is no point switching to the after market ones. do any of you guys know the number for the factory gm ones
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 386 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know the GM part numbers, but I bought both the front and back one for about $160 each from this ebay seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/trutechperformancetransmission

Note: the front one requires a new-style reaction carrier which he sells as a kit.

They were brand new in AC/Delco boxes and I have every reason to believe they are genuine. Also the seller spoke to me on the phone for 20 minutes and was very knowledgeable. I was very happy with everything I bought from them.

Several trans experts have told me to avoid the aftermarket 5-pinion units like the plague; they are poorly make in China and are weaker than the GM 4-pinion units.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was of the impression that the 5-pinion ones might take
more torque, but didn't like high RPM at all (something
about oiling?).
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt those were true gm parts due to the low *** price. Gm ones are fairly expensive.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 386 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't heard of high rpm problems with the 5-pinion planetaries.
Only thing I have heard from several builders is that when the rear 4-pinion planetary fails, it is not because the gears break (at least initially), but because the stock design of the sun shell and sun gear places too much lateral force on the small internal torington bearing, which then dramatically overheats, turning the metal blue and causing the unit to fail. As I understand it, some buildesr try to bring more oil there for cooling. The Sonnax smart shell is designed to solve it. (I measured and confirmed that the sun gear is then completely unloaded.)

I carefully compared my 5-pinion planetaries with known GM units (from 4L65E) to confirm that I bought genuine GM parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gm 5 pinion planetarys