Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should a 4L80E be built to handle 1200hp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How should a 4L80E be built to handle 1200hp?

Got into a bit of a bind. I sent a late model 4L80E off to a builder. He tore it down, gave me a quote to build it to handle my 3.3L Whipple blower at 18psi (30psi capable according to Whipple) on top of my 427 LS based motor. It's now complete, but no chromo or hardened shafts? He claims it will hold, but non specific warranty information, won't tell me what's in it and basically said:

"I’m sorry we got off on the wrong foot. But I stand behind everything I do. Drive it as hard as you want. It’s the combination of parts and technology that makes it work. I worked in Middle East for 21 years. If they can’t kill it with twin turbos,4wd ,120 degrees and sand. I hope I can make you happy."

And

"I’m sure you find some car builders do it different than you. You have a 3 year warranty drive it as hard as you can. And it will holdup. Transmission is ready"

I've asked repeatedly how it was built. When I ordered it, I asked for 300M shafts and a 300M Forward clutch hub. I find it has none of it.

His paperwork has a warranty disclaimer: "Any aftermarket programming will void warranty". This entire truck will be tuned.

Did I just waste a 300.00 late model core?

Last edited by Grendel; 03-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I was going to say that since there's a 3 year warranty, might as well go with it and let him realize his mistakes after you send it back to him several times for various problems, but now it seems he's kind of got you by the ***** with that bit about the aftermarket programming. It seems a little vague to me, is he referring to just the transmission or the entire car?

1200 hp is what he honestly says it will hold? How much power are you planning to be pushing out? There is basically no chance that that transmission will hold 1200 on stock shafts. That kind of power level typically necessitates a fair amount of billet parts internally, such as the input shaft, forward hub and intermediate hub. The stock input shaft in an 80e has been broken before in completely bone stock applications before, i.e. a truck that was towing something. To be quite honest, 1200 hp is well within the range where a 36 element "Super Drum" is to be highly considered.

Do not trust a builder who will withhold everything about the transmission's internal parts and modifications. There is a huge difference between a company that withholds proprietary information, such as a company who has spent many hours researching and developing and studying different combinations and parts and hydraulic modifications, and a company that won't tell you a damn thing about what is done to it. For all you could know, it could just be a stock rebuild with an off-the-shelf shift kit.

If the builder won't tell you about the parts he put in it, ask him what hydraulic modifications he did, and that's assuming he did any.

Sorry to say it, I really am because it sucks, but it's definitely looking like it might be turning into a wasted core.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

How can you put aftermarket programming on a transmission with no internal computer? Also, if you didn't get what you asked for, send that **** back and get your money. Dishonest business practice
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DietCoke
How can you put aftermarket programming on a transmission with no internal computer? Also, if you didn't get what you asked for, send that **** back and get your money. Dishonest business practice
I thought that for a moment as well, then I assumed perhaps the tuner was referring to any tuning that might effect the transmission itself, e.g. shift points, tuning for a stall, etc. I'm honestly not sure, which to me is yet another reason to be wary of this builder. A 3 year warranty would be fantastic, definitely an industry first as far as I know, but what good is it if you void it just to get your car running properly?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Yes, he said it was built to hold 1200hp. I am guesstimating I will be around 800-1K.

His words are 3 year warranty, but his invoice says any modifications to the tuning of the truck would void the warranty.

Heh, should I ask him for my late model core back?

After doing quite a bit of searching, it appears they have a history of doing this. I wish I had searched before sending the core, but I had a friend who had really great results.

Oh well.

Last edited by Grendel; 03-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Stock input shaft under boost will break in the 600-700hp range.. or rather 500-600lb'ft' range.. and thats pro high.. Forward clutch hub is rated about 100lb'ft' more.. after that your looking at an intermediate shaft, straight cut gear set or 6 pinion helical gear set, 34elemnt sprag which is stock in most 4l80e's.. over 1,000 you should upgrade to a super drum with a 36 element sprag and a billet sun gear shaft... also use an early overdrive in your late shell..
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tommyboy86
Stock input shaft under boost will break in the 600-700hp range.. or rather 500-600lb'ft' range.. and thats pro high.. Forward clutch hub is rated about 100lb'ft' more.. after that your looking at an intermediate shaft, straight cut gear set or 6 pinion helical gear set, 34elemnt sprag which is stock in most 4l80e's.. over 1,000 you should upgrade to a super drum with a 36 element sprag and a billet sun gear shaft... also use an early overdrive in your late shell..
Billet sun gear shaft is unnecessary. For the record, for anyone out there reading this, any time you are using or planning on Nitrous and you want a 4L80E, please do not consider using the stock input shaft or forward hub. They do not like Nitrous.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

We're all on the same page. Looking for another builder or thinking about a TCI 4L80E six speed.

He also will give me a late model core back.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Perhaps the sun gear shaft is unnecessary however they have broke in the past and are a good piece of mind for $190.00
If he's willing to give you a core back then go that route. If the transmission he sold you is brand new rebuilt you should be able to tear it down and see whats in it. What did he charge you? The price should be an indication of weather of not he actually put hard parts in it or not.. I have 1,800 in shafts and hard parts for my 4l80e that's not including the soft parts (clutches, bands, seals, and shift kit)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Perhaps the sun gear shaft is unnecessary however they have broke in the past and are a good piece of mind for $190.00
If he's willing to give you a core back then go that route. If the transmission he sold you is brand new rebuilt you should be able to tear it down and see whats in it. What did he charge you? The price should be an indication of weather of not he actually put hard parts in it or not.. I have 1,800 in shafts and hard parts for my 4l80e that's not including the soft parts (clutches, bands, seals, and shift kit)
No, he's sending a core back, I assume. No charge. I would not pay it.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Although I have never ever once heard of them breaking in the past, I don't doubt it. If one person can break a 36 element super drum, then I would believe a sun gear shaft has broken before. However, it is not a common issue by any means. I build transmissions for one of our sponsors on here, and neither my boss, nor any of the other builders on here that I know of, use or preach about the importance of a billet sun gear shaft. I wouldn't hesitate to use the stock one in a 1500+ application. If you don't mind me asking, who built your 4L80E? I feel like I might have an idea, but I just want to be sure. Needless to say, sounds like you are the kind of guy willing to spend the money to do it right, props for that
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I build my own transmissions..
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grendel
Got into a bit of a bind. I sent a late model 4L80E off to a builder. He tore it down, gave me a quote to build it to handle my 3.3L Whipple blower at 18psi (30psi capable according to Whipple) on top of my 427 LS based motor. It's now complete, but no chromo or hardened shafts? He claims it will hold, but non specific warranty information, won't tell me what's in it and basically said:

"I’m sorry we got off on the wrong foot. But I stand behind everything I do. Drive it as hard as you want. It’s the combination of parts and technology that makes it work. I worked in Middle East for 21 years. If they can’t kill it with twin turbos,4wd ,120 degrees and sand. I hope I can make you happy."

And

"I’m sure you find some car builders do it different than you. You have a 3 year warranty drive it as hard as you can. And it will holdup. Transmission is ready"

I've asked repeatedly how it was built. When I ordered it, I asked for 300M shafts and a 300M Forward clutch hub. I find it has none of it.

His paperwork has a warranty disclaimer: "Any aftermarket programming will void warranty". This entire truck will be tuned.

Did I just waste a 300.00 late model core?

Call Jake he will hook you up without all the BS!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

jakes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I build my own transmissions..
Show me a broken sun gear shaft...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I personally have never broken one.. I have seen spline wear... I don't see why your opposing my added peace of mind? After all whats 190 bucks in a 2500+ transmission build?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds shady certainly. Glad you got your core back.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally have never broken one.. I have seen spline wear... I don't see why your opposing my added peace of mind? After all whats 190 bucks in a 2500+ transmission build?
You stated earlier in the thread they have broken. Show me a broken one.

Why spend $190 on something that rarely breaks (I've built thousands of TH400's and 4L80Es and I've NEVER seen or even heard of a broken one) even in 6 or 7 second 1/4 mile cars?

I'm all for putting in the proper components to make the unit live and have peace of mind. Overbuilding is great when the budget is there, but sometimes you just have to know when to call BS on some "upgrades".
Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel
We're all on the same page. Looking for another builder or thinking about a TCI 4L80E six speed.

He also will give me a late model core back.
Did you look at the ratios in the TCI six speed?

Are you sure they make sense for a high power low weight vehicle with a fairly flat torque curve?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Did you look at the ratios in the TCI six speed?

Are you sure they make sense for a high power low weight vehicle with a fairly flat torque curve?
They seem decent for my truck. It's not low weight, for certain. My truck will probably be about 4400lbs. 3.73 gear, with a 31" rear tire. Converter will probably flash around 3400 or so.

Quick Reply: How should a 4L80E be built to handle 1200hp?