Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt sqealing when comming off WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt sqealing when comming off WOT

Ever since the m6 to a4 conversion Ive noticed when i go wot and then let off I here the belt sqeal. Its only when comming off wot and maybe right before its about to shift. Its a built a4 with a vacuum mod. running 275psi with a 3500 stall. Is this normal or should I look into have the belt replaced? On a side note, when I had my tnt kit one of the braided lines going to the ring touched the belt and put a 1/4 groove in the belt. Its was like that when I had the 6spd and I never had this issue. Its been doing this since day one of the swap. Anyone else have this problem or am I special ?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The belt might be getting a little old, check your Tensioner to see if it is adjusted all the way out if it is your belt is worn out. My car does that sometimes also when I let off, what is happening is your motor is at a high RPM, and when it shifts the tranny pulls the rpms down fast and the belt cant slow down that fast and it spins on the pulley making that noise.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I would go ahead and change the belt, it could be old and worn out, and I'm sure the groove didn't help to strengthen it any. When I used to hang out at the ford lightning forums people were always having trouble w/this after shift kit installs, the common consensus as to a cure was the Gatorback belt. First check your tension, then change your belt, it's not very expensive, and not a big job at all. All that's causing the squeak is a little belt slipping, as mentioned above, when the shifting tranny jerks the engine rpms down, but just for insurance, quietness, and peace of mind due to the groove, I would change it out.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This could also be TCC clutch squeal / chatter on apply.
Have no idea how a vacuum-mod-reworked tranny
handles the TCC PWM control etc. But in looking at my
HPTuners tables it appears that TCC pressure is controlled
as a fraction of main line (PWM) pressure and maybe there
is some funny stuff about how that all works now.

If you are running a "funny" ATF you might consider a
change-out for something like Castrol DexIII which calls
out compliance to "newer GM torque converter cutch
anti-chatter specifications" or some such. Presuming
you narrow it down to being what I'm talking about here.