Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Transmission Problem

i Bought a 01 Trans Am in august havent driven it much since working over seas but when i do drive it i notice a slight slip i guess from 2nd to 3rd under normal driving conditions but when from the dead stop and launching the car you cant feel it, also doesnt seem to shift into overdrive on the highway at 55mph the rpms are at like 2500 to 2700 is it time for a rebuild 150k on the engine and trans i think
Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like your trans has two of the most common 4L60E problems:

1. The 3/4 clutch is worn out and now slipping as you engage 3rd.
This require a rebuild.
2. The TCC valve is worn in the valve body and you are no longer getting torque converter lockup. This often give a #1870 "check engine" code. The valve body
needs a rebuild with attention to this body.

Hmmm - perhaps by "overdrive" you mean 4th gear; that is the 3/4 clutch again.

In short, yes you need a rebuild.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Teching In

yes by overdrive i mean 4th in the auto cars and a rebuild is what i figured it would need, now this car is not a daily driver and eventually a track think i should just go with a reverse manual valve body or do they not make them for that tranny, i have been out of the fbody game for about 5years so still get familiar with all the parts again
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Contact one of the sponsors here, such as gilbert@aceracingtrans.com (he posts and helps people on this forum every day); I believe they sell such a trans.

You basically have these choices for a rebuild:

1. Find a rebuilt trans on Craigslist or on the cheap for under $1000. You will be lucky if it lasts on the street and any track use will likely ruin it, ruin your torque converter and more.

2. Have a local quality trans shop rebuild it for $1600 or so. However, this is still just a stock rebuild and won't be able to handle much track time.

3. Buy a high performance trans from one of the sponsors for $2400 or so. They are built and tuned for extensive track time. (A reverse manual valve will cost more; discuss with a sponsor why you even want it.)

As always, just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maddogtransmissions

Hello boss man,my L-2 700R4 transmission with heavy-duty converter core charge and shipping is $1475.00. I back up all my work with a one-year unlimited mile warranty this transmission and converter will be a direct replacement.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Yup, I have the same problem at the moment, just hit 151k miles, and to make sure i added trans oil bc it was extremely low to see if it was slipping because of that, but it turns out I am cursed by the same issue with the 3/4 clutch. Now my question is, what high quality transmission shop do you guys suggest? I talked to a guy from the Performabuilt.com store for the level 2 pro-race. Anybody have testimony about these guys?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 PM

I have read lots of posts here and on other forums both praising and bitterly complaining about various trans vendors/sponsors.
Here is my OPINION:
Each vendor (or quality trans rebuilder) is a business that must cater to a range of customers and must meet certain prices points.
Certainly each sponsor here knows how to build a high performance quality transmission. However their "recommended" product is often a bit more expensive than many customers can afford; therefore to remain in business, they must create a cheaper version that doesn't have all the recommended parts.
It seems that every time I see a bitter complaint, it is from someone who bought the sponsor's cheapest trans and expected too much from it.
When I buy a product, whether its a pizza, a computer or a car, I never choose the cheapest product, even when on a tight budget. A few dollars more often makes a huge difference in quality.
So, pick a sponsor here, don't pick their lowest-priced model, but ask them what they recommend. Just a few hundred dollars more will get you most if not all the upgraded parts to give you a much higher quality and dependable transmission.
Hey, that is just my opinion.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

yeah, i have a guy that can build me a tranny to any liking i want, he owned his own shop back in the day, now he just does for extra money and if it doesnt last a year he will fix it for free if its no fault of mine, i just wanted some opinions on what the problem could be also have you used a manual valve body and do they work good