Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible trans problem or stall problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible trans problem or stall problem?

Hey guys,

Just bought a 98 ls1 trans am. Guy told me it had a 3500 stall in it. I have never driven a stalled car and don't really know what to expect. Anyway, of course you have to get the rpms way up there to take off at a decent speed which is alright with me. My problem comes when I let off the throttle to just cruise. At about 30mph to 60mph if I just pick up my foot off the gas pedal it will start bucking, sometimes barely and sometimes drastically sounding like its about to tear something up. Guy told me it was from the stall. If I hit the brakes, it stops bucking and coasts fine until I hit the gas again. Trying to cruise at about 40mph is almost impossible unless I downshift it to a lower gear to hold it or hold the brakes lightly while giving gas.

Another problem is the shifter doesn't line up right and needs adjustment. Any write ups on how to do this. Seems like it needs to be forward about a 1/4" or so. Almost like if I took the console cover off it would have enough room to shift properly. Doesn't quite go into park so I used the emergency brake to keep it from rolling. I got a great deal on the car so I am expecting some problems. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Believe it is a problem with too much fluid causing it to slosh in the converter...checked the fluid level today and it's about 1/4" above the full mark...

anybody know an easy way to take some fluid out? And what kind of fluid should I put in it if I take out too much?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am sure someone with more knowledege than i have will chime in......

but my 98 did some what similair after changing to a pt4000,it was all in the tune......

it was like the clutch would lock up & not let go & would actually kill the motor at real low speed.
the tuner & i took it for a drive with his computer hooked up & dialed it in.

good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Supposed to have a tune from one of the best guys in mobile so I don't think that's it but who knows. I honestly hope its too much fluid causing it because it shifts perfectly...just bucking when the converter kicks in and out
Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is definately not too much fluid.

Does the car have any SES codes?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
It is definately not too much fluid.

Does the car have any SES codes?
Car does not seem to be throwing any codes but I am not sure the gauge lights are working properly as the security, abs, and airbag lights stay on. Also, the temp gauge does not work
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Now I am thinking it may be the converter after all. Was researching and read that if the converter is sticking on it will try to die when stopping, and I have noticed this a couple times...It idles fine when in park but kind of dies down when coming to a stop...