Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vig 2800 stall back to stock?? :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vig 2800 stall back to stock?? :(

Alright guys, I have my 4L60e pulled out of my 97 z28 because I thought it was causing a bad vibration my car had (turned out to be the damper) anyhow the stator was worn down pretty bad so I'm replacing it. Now I know it's recommended that you get a new torque converter when you do a transmission job, but I currently have a vig 2800 stall converter and really don't want to go back to a stock converter nor do I want to shell out the money for another higher stalled converter. My question is, if the stator was worn down shouldn't that mean that the inside splines of the converter were doing the grinding and should be okay? I have pics of the inside of my converter and it looks like it's still good. And if I do end up going back to a stock converter what performance losses should I expect to see? It's just my daily driver, and will likely never see the strip except maybe once. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont go back to stock screw that. Get a new one IF you have to before doing the stock TC.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I would just have it rebuilt. Depending on how much time you can afford to have the car down, Vig will do it. Or you may find a local shop that will. It shouldn't be that expensive.