Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80 convertor conflict

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80 convertor conflict

I haven't asked a dumb question for a while so I guess I'm overdue.

So I have an LS3 out of a 2010 Camaro and a 6L80 trans out of a different Camaro. The engine was originally backed by a manual. Why does it seem like the stock convertor is too long? Are the cranks different? The flywheel and starter seem to line up right so I don't think I have the wrong flywheel. What am I missing here?

I've had this engine and trans sitting around for a while and never really tried to put them together before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you pull the pilot bearing out of the crank?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMRACER13
Did you pull the pilot bearing out of the crank?
Um no. That would fix it? How do I get that out? Ok, now I have exceeded my limit on dumb questions.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

What exactly do you mean by the converter being "too long"? If you try to bolt the transmission to the engine do the pads of the converter make contact with the flex plate before the bell housing makes contact with the block? Or, do the converter pads not make contact with the flex plate AND the bell housing does not make contact with the block? If its the latter there is a snout on the front of the converter that fits into the end of the crank which "centers" the converter so it spins true with the crank. If the engine originally had a manual transmission behind it the pilot bearing needs to be removed in order for the snout on the converter to slide into the end of the crank.

The brown piece in the end of the crank is the pilot bearing. You will need a puller to remove it.

This is what it should look like once the pilot bearing has been removed. Note: In this pic the manual flywheel is still bolted to the crank but you get the idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Clearly I’m showing my inexperience here. I was just roughing this up on the garage floor before wrestling it together under the car. So I was just trying to bolt up the flexplate, starter and convertor to see if I can install the engine that way. This is when I noticed that the convertor wouldn’t bolt up since the snout seemed like it was too long. Obviously hitting the old pilot bearing. Had no idea I was going to need to take that out.

I watched a youtube video that showed taking it out with grease. Is this the most common way?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A slide arm puller should work to get the pilot bearing out. Also make sure when you go to install the trans you stab the converter into the trans and then bolt it up to the engine. Do not install the converter onto the motor first, it has to be installed on the trans first... It is a common rookie mistake, so just making sure it is clear.

Chris
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Just when I thought I had cornered the market on rookie mistakes. Thanks Chris!

Maybe I should post all my boneheaded ideas on here first. lol

Thanks again!

Jay
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do not try to force the bearing out by packing grease behind it. There is a plug in the end of the crank (looks like a freeze plug) that you will end up pushing into the crankcase. You can see the plug in the second pic. I posted.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

My secrete is out; I'm a dumbass. Thanks everyone, I got it out. And guess what? The convertor fits right on now. As soon as you guys asked if the bearing was still in there, I knew what was up. But at least for once, this one didn't cost me any money.

I was going to put the engine in with the starter already attached, but now I assume that's where I'm going to be installing the convertor bolts thru?

Anything else I haven't thought of yet, that a rookie like me should know as I mate these two together?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Altitude 65
Just when I thought I had cornered the market on rookie mistakes. Thanks Chris!

Maybe I should post all my boneheaded ideas on here first. lol

Thanks again!

Jay
Some bonehead ideas are better left at home than told to the world.

Quick Reply: 6L80 convertor conflict