Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 to buy or not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4l80 to buy or not???

Im looking at a used unit out of a 2500hd truck thats a 1997 model. It still works except it slips in reverse only and all other gears work fine. He wants $75 to cover what the trans shop will give him for a core charge. The trans is already been taken out this weekend and ready to buy. My ? is, would this be a good price? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

yes, buy it. Sounds like direct clutches are fried. Its a good price for a rebuildable core.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
yes, buy it. Sounds like direct clutches are fried. Its a good price for a rebuildable core.
thanks, I have what I believe to be a stock high mile 60e and Im curious if an 80 is really necessary for my power level in sig? The current trans does great so far and shifts nice and firm but that will only last so long as it currently has 195k on it and I have owned the car since it had 120k. I am also wondering what kind of $ this kind of swap is gonna take with TQ arm, corss member, converter, cooler, tune, harness, lines, ect??? I have been reading but am still unsure if this swap is for me, as I dont go to the track much and I know better than running my current trans through 3rd into OD @ wot. This is my main intrest in doing this swap so I dont have to worry about overpowering OD clutches. Any advice? Im also considering swaping my high mile stock engine for a stock 6.0 with some kind of cam and maybe a small (75-100) shot to boot and go from there.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

even if you dont use it, buy it for $75-some trans shops will give you more than that for it
make sure its a 4L80E though, and no cracks
Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
even if you dont use it, buy it for $75-some trans shops will give you more than that for it
make sure its a 4L80E though, and no cracks
OP......... you can't hardly find a used 4L80E case for $75! buy it!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Will do, I was told by a trans sponsor here that at my power level it would likely be overkill so I might hold on to it till an intrested party needs one. Thanks guys...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Will do, I was told by a trans sponsor here that at my power level it would likely be overkill so I might hold on to it till an intrested party needs one. Thanks guys...
I'm a builder for one of the sponsors on here and I will say, yes, at 450 hp it is most likely overkill, but if you plan on making much more power it is most definitely a viable option to look into. A built 4L60E will cost you a lot more money than a 4L80E swap would, and many people on here make the 80 swap out to be a very difficult, time consuming swap and make it sound like the entire trans tunnel needs to be hammered to hell to make it fit, when really it's just a quick and easy portion. A new flex plate, cross member, yoke and converter, and you have yourself a 4L80E, which stock for stock is a MUCH stronger transmission then the 4L60E. I'd put it up against many semi-built 60's as well.

If you sold your original 60e, converter and such that came out of the car for a swap, you would recoup a decent portion on any financial loss you incurred for the swap.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I'm a builder for one of the sponsors on here and I will say, yes, at 450 hp it is most likely overkill, but if you plan on making much more power it is most definitely a viable option to look into. A built 4L60E will cost you a lot more money than a 4L80E swap would, and many people on here make the 80 swap out to be a very difficult, time consuming swap and make it sound like the entire trans tunnel needs to be hammered to hell to make it fit, when really it's just a quick and easy portion. A new flex plate, cross member, yoke and converter, and you have yourself a 4L80E, which stock for stock is a MUCH stronger transmission then the 4L60E. I'd put it up against many semi-built 60's as well.

If you sold your original 60e, converter and such that came out of the car for a swap, you would recoup a decent portion on any financial loss you incurred for the swap.
I would love to put a 100hp shot on it and when the engine goes get a stock 6.0 to replace the ls1 with. How much would a good shifting 4l60e be worth? I also heard the 80 robs more hp than the 60 does. If I had the 80 ready to go in how much would the rest of the pieces to the puzzle cost? BTW Im referring to average cost not wait till durt cheap used comes across my path. Thanks for all the responses guys...