Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy 4L60E PARTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy 4L60E PARTS?

My trans died on my truck over the weekend and Im going to rebuild it myself. My first auto rebuild so I havent had to search for this stuff before. Im having a hard time finding a 1-stop .com shop to buy everything I need for a good price. I can find a couple parts at one, more at another, then shipping outweighs any savings from one site to another. Ive searched on google and sponsors here, I either find complete rebuild services or just a couple parts available. Im looking for a rebuild/seal kit, good clutches, transgo hd2, corvette servo, the beast, and maybe the "code buster" tcc valve. I might need more depending on tear down.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried pro-built automatics?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Check out http://www.transmissioncenter.net they have a decent selection of upgrade parts and overhaul parts as well.

Last edited by DJNight2k; 04-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

My first choice for parts is always:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com

Excellent pricing, huge selection and free shipping over $60.
They carry many of the Sonnax parts for 4L60E.
However, if you call them they cannot give you any advise; it is just a warehouse.

My second choice is:

http://www.trutechtrans.com
(Also seller on ebay)

Not the absolutely lowest prices, but close.
Excellent source of genuine GM/AcDelco parts. Owner is easy to reach and very knowledgeable with good advice. (Also not cocky or opinionated.) I am always happy to spend a few extra dollars in exchange for the generous advice.

I have bought from transmissioncenter.net, but their website is horrible and shipping prices are very high.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I will agree their website is pretty annoying lol. I usually use dean transmission parts when I do rebuilds but they don't have an online store just phone.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69cutlassrkt
have you tried pro-built automatics?
here is who is refreing to
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=22
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for links guys. I did check out most of those and called a couple places. Problem with calling race shops is being recommended unnecessary go fast parts for just a stock truck.

Ended up going to WIT locally. They do have a site wittrans.com but not really newb friendly. Also got in touch with a local trans builder and steered me in a different direction. Bushings, bearings, hardened shell, band, and sonnex tcc and afl valves. No vette servo or transgo.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Default 4l60

There is a transmission part place on Shaver in the industrial buisness building it is good priced when we had to rebuild our transmissions thats where we went.

Rachelle
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

I got it all at transtar1.com
OP pm me for more info to idenentfy parts
Johnny
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Thanks for links guys.... Also got in touch with a local trans builder and steered me in a different direction. Bushings, bearings, hardened shell, band, and sonnex tcc and afl valves. No vette servo or transgo.
I think he steered you in the right direction. You might consider the vette servo though, its only $20. You can change it without removing the trans (unless an extremely tight fit).

IIRC, the Sonnax tcc and afl valves require very expensive Sonnax reamers ($150 each); if true, you might consider asking your local builder to rebuild the valve body for you. I also see supposedly rebuilt valve bodies on ebay for less than $200. A bad afl valve can quickly ruin a rebuilt trans, so don't skip this step.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I think he steered you in the right direction. You might consider the vette servo though, its only $20. You can change it without removing the trans (unless an extremely tight fit).

IIRC, the Sonnax tcc and afl valves require very expensive Sonnax reamers ($150 each); if true, you might consider asking your local builder to rebuild the valve body for you. I also see supposedly rebuilt valve bodies on ebay for less than $200. A bad afl valve can quickly ruin a rebuilt trans, so don't skip this step.
He has all the tools and is doing the bushings, reaction planetary bearing, and valves. Been doing this for 26 yrs and last 2 yrs out of his garage. Honest and charges half of a normal shop rate and his business only comes from referrals. Earned my trust and Im still on the fence for the vette servo. Said he's installed a few by customer request and personally didnt like the shifts.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the Transgo SK-4L60E kit to repair/replace the bad TCC valve in my 4L60E. Worked like a charm and did not require any fancy expensive reamers or anything. I put the same thing in my Trailblazer's 4L60E when I did a fluid change, just to prevent any damage from happening later as I want it to last past 200k miles. Installed at 120k miles, truck now has about 158k miles.

If he's doing all the work however he's got the stuff to install the Sonnax TCC. The Transgo kit is good for the home DIYer.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
He has all the tools and is doing the bushings, reaction planetary bearing, and valves. Been doing this for 26 yrs and last 2 yrs out of his garage. Honest and charges half of a normal shop rate and his business only comes from referrals. Earned my trust and Im still on the fence for the vette servo. Said he's installed a few by customer request and personally didnt like the shifts.
Sounds like a lucky find. My local trans builder that I chat with regularly says he put the Corvette servo into most of his stock rebuilds with no complaints.
The Corvette servo has more holding power on the band in 2nd and 4th gear. This can be useful in a truck that is pulling a trailer, especially with hills. If the band slips, it will wear out quickly. Your builder might be saying that the shifts are firmer than stock; the fact that you are on this forum indicates you probably wouldn't mind that. Softer accumulator springs might soften the shift, tuning the ECU can also soften the shifts.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try 4l60-e.com. Tons of high quality parts there. I've been looking at their stuff for over a year now. I too will be attempting my first auto trans rebuild in a month or so. Best of luck to you on your rebuild!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Look for a local builder that you can take parts to. Specials tools are needed and tips are priceless. Still getting the build done for less than half of the lowest rebuild quote I got.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Trans rebuild is a success. Shifts are slightly more firm but smooth. In fact, the wife didnt even notice a difference in shifts. Im glad I did put the servo in.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear! Hopefully I can find a local tranny shop that wouldn't mind letting me dive into the rebuild with them in return for a discounted rebuild cost. Would love to get some hands on A4 experience. Not to mention I've already got $1400 worth of high quality parts I'm wanting to put in. What all did you replace in yours and what did you upgrade?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Needed for failed parts
Rebuild kit with hi-energy clutches, 3-4 steels, plates, and retaining ring. Input drum piston set, 3-4 clutch booster springs. Forward sprag.

Upgrades
Vette servo, Sonnex TCC and AFL valve kits, hi-energy 2-4 band

Preventative maintenance
Reman torque converter. Hardened sun shell (supposedly 03+ is factory hardened). Aluminum forward and 1-2 accumulator pistons, Bushings: Stator support, pump, and case. Bearings: planets and input drum

Lowest rebuild quote (locally): $1200
Parts and pro help labor total: $580

I had a few days of not touching anything since life gets in the way like that, but start to finish was 2 weeks. Would I do a job like this again? Sure, but I wouldnt go out of my way to get a side job like this!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you had a pretty budget rebuild. I'm looking at $1400 so far just in parts alone. But that also includes a new $600 converter. How difficult would you say the rebuild was? I am descently knowledgeable regarding cars and learn everything I don't know very fast. Hoping a 4L60-E manual as well as a rebuild DVD should make it pretty fool proof. Just not sure what special tools I might need.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I had access to alldata and briefly looked at an ATSG book. You will definitely need something, and browsing forum hits on google gets frustrating. Disassembly is very easy. Need a T50+ torx and a lock ring pliers. Access to a parts cleaner will save time, shop rags, brake clean, and your lungs!

You will need a variety of tools for repair/assembly, or like me, find someone to do it for you. Need a press tool to compress the clutch spring packs. Not needed but helps, is a hole in your workbench to work on the input drum. Rubber tip on an air nozzle for leak testing pistons. Feeler gauge for clearances. Lip seal install tool. If you need/want to replace any bushings, there are several install tools for them. If you upgrade to sonnex valves, reamers are needed to enlarge the holes. Valve body and case needs to be flat, my builder used a large knife sharpening stone to sand the highs down. Lastly are the teflon seals, which are a bitch. Theres a plastic cone tool to install them and another to shrink them to size. I had one that still didnt want to set when installing the oil pump, a tyrap and 10 minutes was the trick to shrink it down!

Quick Reply: Where to buy 4L60E PARTS?