Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so confused about tranny coolers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default so confused about tranny coolers

so ive been doing some reading for the past hour but im not having any luck finding what i need, basically i am interested in a b&m tranny cooler for my 2000 z its my dd during the summer here in ny but whats really turning me onto it is i am going to nc at the end of this month and its going to be quite a drive so i want to protect my tranny the best i can. but i have no clue what cooler i need??? and also was reading that i shouldnt use the stock cooler with the aftermarket cooler? just really confused on this can someone bring me up to speed on all this?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk why you wouldn't be able to use the stock cooler in conjunction with an aftermarket one, all it does is increase the surface area to dissipate heat. Personally I would do it without a second thought, maybe someone else can give a reason. A deeper pan will help keep the temp down too. Under normal driving condition a 4l60e should last a long time, high rpm shifts into 3rd and 4th i think are the biggest cause of premature wear from what i can tell.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you look I started a thread a week or so ago about a similar topic and there's lots of good info about it. I personally will be running a cooler in series with the stock one and will be getting a gauge to monitor it. Either way you will be doing your tranny a favor by keeping it cooler.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing wrong with running an auxillery cooler in addition to the stock cooler. If you run an auxillery cooler in series with the stock cooler just make sure it's installed after the factory cooler (on the return line to the transmission).
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I have the b&m trans cooler.cant remember what size but I know it's the biggest one they have. A deep pan also helps.my trans rarely goes above 180
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjs1012
If you look I started a thread a week or so ago about a similar topic and there's lots of good info about it. I personally will be running a cooler in series with the stock one and will be getting a gauge to monitor it. Either way you will be doing your tranny a favor by keeping it cooler.

your thread is actually what i was reading hence why i posted this one lol, everybody just kept going back and fourth and i have no clue how i should be hooking it up, and also what b&m cooler do i buy as well?? i understand the bigger number is better but what would be a sufficent one for a dd? plus i plan on puting a stall in as well later down the road so i want something that takes that into consideration as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

I hear ya there was no reasoning about using the stock one or not so I think I'll just use both and monitor temps. the b&m cooler I have should do the trick. I was reading in an old thread that the one I have is commonly used. I'll try to post the link so you can read it there was some good info in there.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

B+M 70264

You're welcome.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so i bought the 70264 but im lost as two which lines i have to be tapping into???, i plan on putting it in series with the stock cooler can anyone show me some pics of that??
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All of the information you are looking for here can be found in the stickies. I went through the same thing about a month ago when I bought a higher stall converter. There are several ways to mount them, conventional vs dope, and you can find writeups on exactly how to do it, with photos. I actually found 4 complete write ups when looking. I took and read them all, and based upon what I liked and disliked about each method, I decided how I was going to do mine. I had no trouble finding them, I would suggest you do the same.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go theres a bunch of good info in this thread i dug up. theres a few links showing where to run it. hope this helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0e-f-body.html
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

just connect it to the trans lines.. not rocket science.. from trans line comming out of the trans to the b&m, from the B&M to the stock cooler.. then that line u dont even have to touch because its already routed back to the trans..
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually if you are going to do it the way above you should put it in the return, not the line going to the factory cooler in the radiator. Take the line from the top of the radiator, and send it to your cooler, then from the cooler dump it into the return line at the top of the radiator. The factory cooler should be first if you are going to mount them in series, for most efficient cooling.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so am i literally unhooking the return line, pluging the rubber hose into the cooler then putting the other end of the cooler back into the return line??
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stock rad cooler is nothing but a way to warm up the trans fluid. Think about it. The tranny fluid will be engine water temp. You then will run it to another one to cool it. If you live in a cold climate keep it. Race only or warm climate ditch the stock rad one and install the largest aftermarket that you can fit. Add a t-stat and a fan and your good to go. If you run a deep pan make sure to get the long neck filter.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year we compiled a lot of info about tranny coolers in one thread, hope this helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0e-f-body.html

I also used the B&M 70264, it's a great kit.

EDIT: I see someone else linked to that thread already. lol

But yes, essentially all you are doing is unhooking the return line from your radiator, plumbing in your aftermarket cooler, mounting it, and attaching the out line on the cooler to your factory return line that feeds back into the tranny.

The reason you do it "after" the stock cooler, is because that way the most effecient cooler (the aftermarket one) will cool the fluid the best right before it returns to the transmission. Many people have just bypassed the stock cooler, but all and all, there is good arguments for doing it either way. In the end, it doesn't really matter from what I've gathered. I do know B&M said to run it in series with the factory cooler for what it's worth.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 04-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.