Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the convertor or trans bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the convertor or trans bad?

Okay, here are the symptoms. Car starts fine and idles fine. Put it in gear or reverse and it doesn't "hit." If I give it some gas it will "kick" into gear. I was told the convertor may be going bad. I had ordered a new PTC turbo convertor anyways so figured that would test the theory. We replaced with the new convertor and it did the same thing. We drained the trans fluid and tried, type F, Dex III, and John Deer and it still did it. Once the car is in gear it shifts just fine, pretty hard shifts. The convertor drops around a 1000 rpms (new convertor) old one only dropped about 300rpms but was a very loose stall.

I know nothing about transmissions but before I have this rebuilt does anyone have an idea? I think the front pump is bad or not building enough pressure until you raise the rpms.

Friday night we took it to TNT and when I tried to do a burnout the engine would rev but it would take a second or so before the tires would start spinning. I quit after three passes because it seemed to get worse. Driving home I would hear a "howl" every 30 seconds or so. It would only last for a second but it definitely howled. Car drove home fine but definitely did not seem right.

Any ideas? The trans is a turbo 400 with a transbrake and reverse valve body. I bought it used. I am not positive but I think that it was doing this when we first put the trans in but assumed that the stall in the convertor was just more noticeable.

One more thing. When you leave in reverse or low gear, even after it has engaged, the car leaves like a manual transmission and you are slowly letting the clutch out (slipping). I only notice it when pulling out of the garage and leaving. The more you drive the car the worse or longer it takes for the car to engage the transmission.