Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something Electronic with Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Something Electronic with Transmission

So I've got a problem that started about a couple weeks ago and has got worse. At first when I shifted the auto into Drive or 3rd it was fine most of the time... a few times it would slightly hesitate and not want to go it seemed until I shifted the stick into another gear. Well now it's like randomly just going into neutral or something when I go... I can drive normal for a few seconds... maybe a min or two... and then it acts like the thing isnt in gear anymore and just revs up... and then none of the gears work at all... so I would pull over... turn the car off and restart it and behold I could drive again until it started doing the same thing a few moments later. I have no idea what it is... not a mechanic for starters... lol. Also seems to be at its worse after it has been in gear and when I stop at a light... when I take off... its no longer giving me any push... just the revs again. If anyone knows what this is? I'm hoping somekind of sensor or wire... lol... let me know... I need to get me a mechanic to fix it ASAP... midterms in my classes are this week in college... sucks for me right now.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LT4Corvette
So I've got a problem that started about a couple weeks ago and has got worse. At first when I shifted the auto into Drive or 3rd it was fine most of the time... a few times it would slightly hesitate and not want to go it seemed until I shifted the stick into another gear. Well now it's like randomly just going into neutral or something when I go... I can drive normal for a few seconds... maybe a min or two... and then it acts like the thing isnt in gear anymore and just revs up... and then none of the gears work at all... so I would pull over... turn the car off and restart it and behold I could drive again until it started doing the same thing a few moments later. I have no idea what it is... not a mechanic for starters... lol. Also seems to be at its worse after it has been in gear and when I stop at a light... when I take off... its no longer giving me any push... just the revs again. If anyone knows what this is? I'm hoping somekind of sensor or wire... lol... let me know... I need to get me a mechanic to fix it ASAP... midterms in my classes are this week in college... sucks for me right now.
Step one - check your trans fluid level. (Sorry if you already did this obvious step, but you didn't mention it.)
After that I think you need to take it to a trans shop; it sounds like it has low line pressure which can be any number of things. If it is an original '94 it has weak parts in the oil pump and would need a rebuild. Sorry not to have better news.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Step one - check your trans fluid level. (Sorry if you already did this obvious step, but you didn't mention it.)
After that I think you need to take it to a trans shop; it sounds like it has low line pressure which can be any number of things. If it is an original '94 it has weak parts in the oil pump and would need a rebuild. Sorry not to have better news.
Yeah I called the mechanic today... and when I told him about the whole "neutral" thingy happening to me... he knew what it was... the Torque Converter... basically though the options are "Hope I'm lucky and it hasn't contaminated the rest of the transmission and I can just replace that part" or "rebuild" but thanks for response... I would never have guessed that part even after I read up on it... but it makes sense that its "disengaging" when it gets hot cause it doesnt happen until I've driven it at least 10 to 15 minutes.