Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need High Performance A6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need High Performance A6 Transmission

Hi Guys I have a 2008 corvette c6 with an Automatic transmission my car is making about 550 Rwhp am suffering with the transmission not been able to handle the Hp and its starting to cost too much I do not want to convert to manual it’s my last option please someone help to a dealer that has the experience and has been building transmissions to handle 650 RWHP so i can enjoy my ride
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's performabuilt transmissions, Mad Dog trans, Finish line trans etc, as sponsors on this forum. Try speaking to one them.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Try Century Transmission 1st, then RPM as they may have caught up.

You can search here, but if you are not a member of Corvette Forum, join. Search there for Century also. You should find member on this Forum and Corvette Forum that has a 9 sec 6L with over 200+ runs on a rebuild the last count I had on it. Think you'll find more info on 6Ls there too.

Try looking in 9 sec section also for member's moniker.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Thank you guys Ill check them out. I wish someone could explain what are the negative issues that the 6 speed automatic transmission?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Like any other automatic that has been produce, it works find for it's intended purpose, within it's designed to hold power limits.

When we apply more TQ and HP that exceed design power limits, just like with all the automatics that came before it exposes their weaknesses. The weakest points show up first, like clutch packs, soft parts ETC. Fix those and then the weakest hard parts start failing. It just takes the aftermarket time to try and figure out how and at how much TQ & HP they can make them reliably at.

Compound the above with lack of knowledge of their sofware programing and what tuning can really be done without that along causing the 6L's to fail, even when we don't exceed their designed TQ & HP limits, much less when we do.

To give you, and maybe some tuners who think the 6L's can be tuned like the electronic A4's read the below article on improving shift times in manual mode only. It appears, at least to me you really have to understand the design of how 6L shift, and how its computers software is curently programmed and when in Sport Mode full automatic mode, can shift time programming even be improved on and how to do it without causing a TUNE induced failure...LOL

In other words, can shift time in auto mode be improved on without having to go into computer's software program and write a new shift algorithm to do it, not just "Lets increase the Line Pressure"? Do you reallly need to increase line pressure or do you need change the shift algorithm to open and close the electroincs differently to try and improve time between shifts, or just leave well enough along?

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_12...ift/index.html

Last edited by poorhousenext; 04-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Try Century Transmission 1st, then RPM as they may have caught up.

You can search here, but if you are not a member of Corvette Forum, join. Search there for Century also. You should find member on this Forum and Corvette Forum that has a 9 sec 6L with over 200+ runs on a rebuild the last count I had on it. Think you'll find more info on 6Ls there too.

Try looking in 9 sec section also for member's moniker.
I think you're talking about me, "thesubfloor" on Corvette Forum. I got 434 low 10 second passes out of a build that Century did for me.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Not a lot u can do with them, but ur best bet is to have it built with good clutches and have the trans tuned. The biggest issue with this trans is the tune, and if u have it tuned it will live much longer. Give RPM a call or check out the new website.

Quick Reply: Need High Performance A6 Transmission