Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering the M6-A4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Considering the M6-A4 swap

I'm really starting to consider doin this swap, after owning this car for 8yrs I'm thinking if I'm gonna keep this car forever like I plan to do that a auto swap is gonna be most cost effective. I love to row my own gears but I honestly cant afford to throw a good $600 clutch in every 3-4yrs. I'm really thinking hard about it recently b/c I'm about due for a tranny rebuild, new master & clutch. I'm thinking that after buying all that I could have done a A4 swap with a stall & never have to worry about clutch related problems again..

I know there are write-ups & what not. I have a couple buddies that could help me do the swap as well that have already messed with this before. What I wanna know is how many guys have done the swap & are still happy goin auto. I know most guys who buy a stick do it for the same reason i did, they love to rip gears. So after the swap did you feel like something was missing or did a good stall & tune make you miss nothing from before about the driving experience? I have never owned or even driven a auto LS car, so I'm curious to see what peoples opinions are.

I bought a 97' Z71 truck last September so doin the swap this winter would be possible for the first time since owning it since I finally have a back up to drive while its down.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you'd be willing to come up to Wichita, you'd be welcome to drive my stalled A4 around and get a feel for it.

I was always a manual guy, and I own both, but as the years have gone by I've come to have a preference for the automatic. But that's not true for everybody; for some guys there can never be a substitute for banging gears.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I'm really starting to consider doin this swap, after owning this car for 8yrs I'm thinking if I'm gonna keep this car forever like I plan to do that a auto swap is gonna be most cost effective. I love to row my own gears but I honestly cant afford to throw a good $600 clutch in every 3-4yrs. I'm really thinking hard about it recently b/c I'm about due for a tranny rebuild, new master & clutch. I'm thinking that after buying all that I could have done a A4 swap with a stall & never have to worry about clutch related problems again..

I know there are write-ups & what not. I have a couple buddies that could help me do the swap as well that have already messed with this before. What I wanna know is how many guys have done the swap & are still happy goin auto. I know most guys who buy a stick do it for the same reason i did, they love to rip gears. So after the swap did you feel like something was missing or did a good stall & tune make you miss nothing from before about the driving experience? I have never owned or even driven a auto LS car, so I'm curious to see what peoples opinions are.

I bought a 97' Z71 truck last September so doin the swap this winter would be possible for the first time since owning it since I finally have a back up to drive while its down.
I think it is how you want to use it, weekend roadcourse no, based on my situations 93 Z, 96 ss Stal converter 3.73gears, 01 T-56 with spec clutch and 4.10 gears fun, same car converted to a built rpm 4l60e and 4400 stall, kept the 4.10 gears in figuring I could always swap them out, love this car on the street, the best is when you hand a manual owners *** to them after the light and they ask is that an automatic. If you have another DD then stall, gear DR that SOB and have fun. Keep your right arm on the stearing wheel so they know your not shifting.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

If you're looking to do a parts trade.... I have a '98 A4 I'd love to put a stick in.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If you'd be willing to come up to Wichita, you'd be welcome to drive my stalled A4 around and get a feel for it.

I was always a manual guy, and I own both, but as the years have gone by I've come to have a preference for the automatic. But that's not true for everybody; for some guys there can never be a substitute for banging gears.
Thankx for the offer. I got a few local buddies with stalled autos I'm sure they would let me drive as well. And I agree about the second have of the comment too. Hence me wanting feedback from those who have made the change or possibly even just owned both.

Originally Posted by Big Red Z28
I think it is how you want to use it, weekend roadcourse no, based on my situations 93 Z, 96 ss Stal converter 3.73gears, 01 T-56 with spec clutch and 4.10 gears fun, same car converted to a built rpm 4l60e and 4400 stall, kept the 4.10 gears in figuring I could always swap them out, love this car on the street, the best is when you hand a manual owners *** to them after the light and they ask is that an automatic. If you have another DD then stall, gear DR that SOB and have fun. Keep your right arm on the stearing wheel so they know your not shifting.
Thankx for the reply. This is the kinda feedback I was looking for.

See I used to love goin to the track, then I broke a 10-bolt & every since then I was kinda scared to launch it cause I dont have the cash to upgrade the rear anytime soon. So I was just gonna quit goin to the track & was thinking about getting into autoX instead. Then I started having shifting issues & parked it when I bought my truck. Since having the truck I have started to like driving a auto. Then got to thinking about how much its gonna cost for a Tick master, good clutch & T56 rebuild. Needless to say its depressing on a budget, LOL. Cause then you have to consider a 9in at least cause I'd never stick a 12-bolt behind a 6-speed. Thats when I got this idea of swapping to a auto. Cheaper than beefing up the M6 stuff, more consistent at the track & I can help the 10-bolt live longer. Those were my 3 main points in considering it anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

im looking to do an auto to an M6 my 4l60e stock 52k on it, to bad your not local pricey ship

Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This looks like a problem of fun vs. money, the same problem we all have lol. I say, after you drive a stalled auto a few times, it'd help with the decision, but in the end, if the funds aren't there the funds aren't there. I've seen a guy on this forum say he always hated autos because he felt disconnected when driving the car, but a stall adds a whole nother level when driving, and he actually liked it. I guess it differs from person to person.