Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mad Dog Transmissions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

+1, including cleaning up the signature.

And especially about answering tech questions. The way I see it, these threads are not just to help the one person posting the question, but to create a technical reference for the entire world (thanks to Google). Look at the thread numbers and notice that 50 times more people read a thread than post on it. I therefore try to create very detailed answers (which take me a lot of time and often require research since I am no trans expert) and if I make a mistake, I edit the post for the many readers who do not read the entire thread.
While I currently have the time and interest to build my own transmissions, if I ever decide to just buy one, it will be from one of the sponsors that I have learned a lot from, due to their technical posts.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ what he said... I actually had to build my own because of the lack of sponser support except for proformace they helped me answer every question as well as MrVedit
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

To give Lou some credit here, it IS easier oftentimes to answer questions on the phone.

Usually when a question is asked on a forum, the information is incomplete.
Many times the poster doesn't even specify the specific type of transmission, doesn't give any details as to the installation or combo, or "help" a potential responder with pertinent info.

I oftentimes skip these posts when answering tech questions. Maybe I'm just an ******* but if the person asking isn't smart enough to know they need to post what transmission it is, they probably shouldn't be working on it.

If the thread title is "OMG NEED HELP QUICK, TRANS WON'T SHIFT"

and the content consists of "Help me please".

I skip it...

Rather than go through a multiple post ordeal to ask questions just to get to a starting point to help.

By phone, you can ask all the pertinent questions and usually get a better description of the complaint.

I also tend to skip posts where the answer is probably posted in 1000 places online or easily found on Google. Like which trans cooler line is inlet or outlet.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be easier for me to answer more questions here on the forum if all the information is there for me, where I didnt have to ask the litttle things that can change the outcome. I will be trying more and more to answer more questions here on the forum since people have been calling me out.

Thank You,
Mad Dog Lou!

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter:www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube:www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Banned

Thanks Jakes performance, like I said I'm not here to step on anybody's shoes or badmouth anyone. Just try to make an honest living. Thanks MaddogLou.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

One of my Customer sent me this picture, going into a 69 Chevy!
Attached Thumbnails Mad Dog Transmissions!-531170_3393941019825_1608680087_2860216_820280144_n.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys, FWIW, I deal with mad dog lou personally. Lou built my 4l65e in my silverado that took me deep in to the low 11's with my 4600# street truck, He also turns ALL of the bolts and sponsors me on my TH400, I've had the 400 in my truck for over 2 years and there has probably been 500 bottles of nitrous ran through it on 300+ horsepower jets!!! Only problem I've had was ONE busted sprag, And IMO that's a parts failure and not an install issue, Lou was more than happy to upgrade me for free and covered all labor on a better sprag and We haven't had an issue yet and that was over a year ago. I have also moved away from nitrous and my current set up is a Proline/Vengeance spec 404 stroker with a single precision 88mm, Once again it has been together with the turbo for about three months and makes over 1000rwhp!!! (Can't display my actual numbers due to some "grudging" going on lately ) FWIW it hasnt missed a beat, I pull my shifter with confidence! My powerglide is being built as we speak and I can't WAIT to put it in!!! People always need to make thier own decisions but If you ask my opinion I will tell you this, If ANYTHING at all goes wrong with your transaction with Lou, HE WILL FIX IT! THAT'S MORE THAN YOU CAN SAY FOR MOST! Is it a pain in the *** to pull your trans out when you have a problem? Yes! Is there plenty of other builders that don't stand behind thier work at all when you have an issue? Yes! This isn't one of them! Lou has been through hell trying to rebuild a reputation that got scarred from other's actions. All I know is this, I have plenty of friends with heads/cam/stokers/nitrous/etc.. that run mad-dog transmissions and I'm not gonna say there hasn't been a single issue but I'll say that not a one of them has come out of pocket a single DIME for an issue with thier transmission.

Not gonna type all night, If you're happy with your purchase from Lou, GREAT!
If you're not happy with your purchase, This guy will honestly go above and beyond to try and please you.

BE SAFE!!!

Charlie
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I had a 700r4 built for my s10 by these guys. Was in the truck for 100 miles when I sold it to a friend. It busted at 500 miles. Opened it up and was nothing I payed for. Was a stock rebuild. Not even close to what I asked for.

I build my own crap from now on since I've had issues with most companies not doing as they say they will. I would use Jake's if I needed one built though.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrMiGi6cuo
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
I know we have had some issue in the past... I am not saying those posts are true, maybe 20% of these posts are true. I have opened up some of the transmissions under warranty and have found that the customer did not get what they paid for. I definitely learned a valuable lesson. My shop grew too far too fast; and I had the wrong people on my team. I am here to tell you that I LOU personally inspects every transmission and downsized the shop from 25 employees now to 8 employees. So it went from quantity to quality. Back in the day everyone pretended they cared but the fact remained that they didn't and work reflected that.

Lets not forget that there is incomplete installation as well; people forget to clear the cooler lines which will contaminate the transmissions. I have seen many times they will break the front pump when installing the converter.

So lets not forget we all are human, and everyone wants to blame the builder. I have stepped up my game and we do dyno test EVERY transmission because of human error and defective parts. As far as I know... we have put out all fires and have honored all Warranties; which I continue to do as a good business man.

I also want it to be known that I personally have investigated these issues and as a on going basis continue to improve my quality in transmission building. I read all the bad reviews of my company and transmissions and look into every claim, and try to make it right. I continue to look into my company to find out where we can improve; and yes we have made mistakes like every company has... but I am here to tell you that we have improved our quality 100% and will not tolerate nothing but the best going forward.

I thank you for your message..

Thank You,
Mad Dog Lou!

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Not trying to be a jerk but in the post above you said you dyno every trans and here in your vid you say you have no dyno? Why use the van?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I only watched 1/2 the vid but lou cant tell the diff between a 60 and 65.....it aint the hole at 12;00 in the convertor housing....dear god man! I have to look at the tag or the planetaries to tell myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Bout to say my 60s all have the 12 o'clock hole.......

And using a road test vehicle is fairly common in this biz for shops without dynos.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

TTT......Bump for support.

I know we have had some issue in the past... I am not saying those posts are true, maybe 20% of these posts are true. I have opened up some of the transmissions under warranty and have found that the customer did not get what they paid for. I definitely learned a valuable lesson. My shop grew too far too fast; and I had the wrong people on my team. I am here to tell you that I LOU personally inspects every transmission and downsized the shop from 25 employees now to 8 employees. So it went from quantity to quality. Back in the day everyone pretended they cared but the fact remained that they didn't and work reflected that.

Lets not forget that there is incomplete installation as well; people forget to clear the cooler lines which will contaminate the transmissions. I have seen many times they will break the front pump when installing the converter.

So lets not forget we all are human, and everyone wants to blame the builder. I have stepped up my game and we do dyno test EVERY transmission because of human error and defective parts. As far as I know... we have put out all fires and have honored all Warranties; which I continue to do as a good business man.

I also want it to be known that I personally have investigated these issues and as a on going basis continue to improve my quality in transmission building. I read all the bad reviews of my company and transmissions and look into every claim, and try to make it right. I continue to look into my company to find out where we can improve; and yes we have made mistakes like every company has... but I am here to tell you that we have improved our quality 100% and will not tolerate nothing but the best going forward.

I thank you for your message..

Thank You,
Mad Dog Lou!

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by david068513
I had a 700r4 built for my s10 by these guys. Was in the truck for 100 miles when I sold it to a friend. It busted at 500 miles. Opened it up and was nothing I payed for. Was a stock rebuild. Not even close to what I asked for.

I build my own crap from now on since I've had issues with most companies not doing as they say they will. I would use Jake's if I needed one built though.
sems like LOU cant shake this reputation.all he says is "ill try harder next time,i promise!" there's a reason why his builds are cheaper than the other guys who build quailty 60e's.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Bout to say my 60s all have the 12 o'clock hole.......

And using a road test vehicle is fairly common in this biz for shops without dynos.
my 60e has the 12oclock hole also.weird.just try this:
Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
sems like LOU cant shake this reputation.all he says is "ill try harder next time,i promise!" there's a reason why his builds are cheaper than the other guys who build quailty 60e's.
EXACTLY.....Lobster is cheap if what your getting is crawfish......
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

The 4L65 has to have a bolt hole on the top dead center at the bellhousing. If if it doesnt have 7 bolt holes on the bell housing; it is not a 4L65E. The 4l65 does have a bigger imput shaft and stater. It has its own converter which is larger than a 4L60. Like i said in my video; If it does have a bolt hole at 12 o'clock, its much easier to find it that way.

The early model 4L65 from 1998- 2004 only have 4 pinion planataries. Late 2005 and up, came with 5 pinion Planataries. But you can call it whatever you like.. Have a nice day.

Originally Posted by JUNK
I only watched 1/2 the vid but lou cant tell the diff between a 60 and 65.....it aint the hole at 12;00 in the convertor housing....dear god man! I have to look at the tag or the planetaries to tell myself.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

Talking

New happy Customer:

Denver Cooley: I have one of your 700r4's behind a 454 in a 35' Allegra motorhome - The engine is HIGHLY modified to produce 500+ horsepower to lug that monster down the highway @ 75+ mph. All I did was add a high capacity fluid cooler and install...15,000 miles that transmission hasn't missed a lick! That combo is producing 13 mpg highway fuel consumption (which for that setup is unheard of!)!! I wish you guys built the AOD I had installed in my restored F250. It's gone out 3 times in a year...

I couldn't be happier with sales - service - or performance!

Sent from my iPhone
Denver Cooley
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Teching In

I was debating between mad dog and jakes and after reading reviews online I knew where to go. Lou may build a lot of nice transmissions that holds up well but there is just too many complaints surrounding him to make me feel good about it. I went and spent 2k more with jake and haven't looked back. I understand everyone is human and problems happen and to be honest I even had a converter failure on my brand new jakes trans ( he didn't even build the converter but since I bought everything as a package from jake he made it right and took care of it and it's been FLAWLESS ever since ) I'm glad I went with jake..

Mad dog has more negative reviews then any other trans builder I looked up and at one point lou needs to accept responsibility for all the negative reviews and change things around at his shop to minimize future problems. My 4l80e stage 5 will handle anything I throw at it without needing to worry. Mad dogs 1000+ HP 4l80 doesn't use billet shafts, How long is it goin to last after a few sticky launches at 1200 whp with standard internals? I am almost done building a 1500 wheel twin turbo 540 and I have full confidence jakes transmission will hold the power, I wouldn't feel the same way with a standard 4l80 rebuild. To all their own I guess..

The moral of the story is you get what you pay for..

Last edited by nesluopetan; 05-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nesluopetan
I was debating between mad dog and jakes and after reading reviews online I knew where to go. Lou may build a lot of nice transmissions that holds up well but there is just too many complaints surrounding him to make me feel good about it. I went and spent 2k more with jake and haven't looked back. I understand everyone is human and problems happen and to be honest I even had a converter failure on my brand new jakes trans ( he didn't even build the converter but since I bought everything as a package from jake he made it right and took care of it and it's been FLAWLESS ever since ) I'm glad I went with jake..

Mad dog has more negative reviews then any other trans builder I looked up and at one point lou needs to accept responsibility for all the negative reviews and change things around at his shop to minimize future problems. My 4l80e stage 5 will handle anything I throw at it without needing to worry. Mad dogs 1000+ HP 4l80 doesn't use billet shafts, How long is it goin to last after a few sticky launches at 1200 whp with standard internals? I am almost done building a 1500 wheel twin turbo 540 and I have full confidence jakes transmission will hold the power, I wouldn't feel the same way with a standard 4l80 rebuild. To all their own I guess..

The moral of the story is you get what you pay for..
Without a billet input shaft, billet foward hub and quite possibly a billet intermediate at that power level no 80e is going to reliably live at that power level for a loooooong time. Pay for it once, and don't buy an inferior product and hope your warranty catches it.

If he were to add a billet input and hub his trans would be good for a lot more power!

Quick Reply: Mad Dog Transmissions!