Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with simple problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please help with simple problem!

I'm changing my fluid and filter and everything was going good until I tried to get the old filter seal out. I've been prying at it for a good 2 hours and no luck. I'm afraid of gouging the aluminum also. Can someone give me some suggestions on how they got theirs out please. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I made the mistake of trying to replace that seal once. I ended up having to use a chisle and hammer to gently split the seal (starting at the lip of it, bend the lip out/down and chisle up and inward from there.....do NOT chisle towards the wall of the bore though, go towards the center......and be VERY careful), once it's split a little you should be able to then use some needle nose pliers to pull it out. I don't bother replacing it anymore unless it comes out easy. So long as the seal is still tight in the bore, and it holds the filter up tight, it's still good and doesn't need to be replaced. Or at least that what a couple GM tech friends of mine have said. They seem to be right, I've had no issues reusing the seals.

If you've already damaged it in any way trying to remove it though, you're gonna have to change it this time.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-27-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I finally got it. My next step was going to be the chisel and hammer method but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I guess I won't replace it again. Thanks again.