Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 4L60E (new 98-up style) to LT1 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 4L60E (new 98-up style) to LT1 engine?

Okay, So I searched and searched and searched some more.

between google, and here, and anything else under the sun I have found LOADS of documentation on running older 4L60E transmissions (like 96-97) on an LS engine but there seems to be little to no documentation on running a newer LS1 era 4L60E on say a 1996 Trans am?

What if I have a 1996 Trans Am with an LT1(A4 car), and I happen to pick up a good used 1998 4L60E? I already know the electronics are compatible. and I already know about the different input shafts, and torque converters.

From what I dug up if you're running an "old" 4L60E(obviously new enough to have PWM electronics in it) on a newer LS style engine you need a spacer and different bolts for the flex plate so the converter will sit down far enough to engage the pump.

So what if I have the opposite? do I need to shave the pads on the converter by .300" ? or is running the newer gen 4L60E on a Gen II/LT1 not even possible? I need help!!!

EDIT: the car in question is obviously an F body (as I said, it's a Trans Am), and the replacement transmission in question out of the 1998 car is also from an F body, so the tailshaft is already correct for the torque arm mount, correct? or is that also wrong?

Thanks in advance!

~Moddage