Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter or just the TCC solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter or just the TCC solenoid?

New guy here, first post. I know it isn't an LS1 or anything even near it, but I have a 2002 S10, 4cyl, 4l60e. This seems to be a place with some folks with a bit of knowledge on this particular transmission. I am having some transmission symptoms that lead me to believe I am looking at a TCC Solenoid. When the truck gets into 4th gear when the trans temp is still low, I am experiencing the 200-300 rpm surge at the 40-60 mph range. When I get up to about 65 it will lock in and then pop out repeatedly until the trans warms up and then the converter wont lock up. Also down around the 30-40 mph range (cold) it will lock in and causes a mad vibration and bogged down sound from the engine. Is it possible my Torque Converter is shot? (I really hate to even ask that question.)

I am planning to change the fluid and filter this weekend and want to do the TCC solenoid while I am in there. The part I have found online looks like you cut and solder the wire leads and then shrink wrap them before going back in. Is this how you are supposed to replace them or am I better off dropping the valve body and replacing the entire wiring harness and TCC solenoid. Hard to believe there isn't a clip connection on it. I haven't pulled the pan on the truck yet to look around, but would love to get a little insight before I get in there.

Thanks for the help,
Tom
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Man I can't believe no one responded to your post, what I want to know is did you find what the problem was? Let us know.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The OP will first need a scantool to see if/why the PCM is releasing the TCC (the PCM releases the TCC upon detecting engine misfires)...\

but he hasn't been back here in 7 months.

Quick Reply: Torque converter or just the TCC solenoid?