Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e shifting problem

car will run pretty normal most of the time accept when its time to shift. when it shifts it feels like somethings off. sometimes it shifts nice and early at low rpm like it should and other times it will take a few seconds longer then it should. Wont shift at WOT from 1-2 and from 2-3, and other times it will shift fine. Drove it to the drag strip to get a baseline for the car (40 min drive) and everytime i went down the track it would not shift. took it to the trans shop and the guys there said it was fine. its a 94 z28 lt1 bone stock from what the previous owner told me accept for a CAI and a cat delete in the exhaust. what are the things i should be checking and looking into? also when i was at the track i should mention that it just didnt shift and i was hitting the rev limiter
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If it is not shifting at WOT, then either the torque converter or the clutches are slipping.
Since you have an 18 year old trans and the early 4L60E were not very sturdy to begin with, it is likely simply worn out and time for a rebuild.
If not ready for that, make sure your fluid is full when the trans is hot and has been changed in the last 25,000 miles.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM

ZZ is right it could be time for a new build, if you know anyone with a computer that you can look at the data with you can see if the computer is commanding a 1-2 and 2-3 gear shift or not, this will tell you if it is a transmission problem or computer problem
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

went out and smelled the fluid it smells pretty burnt out. going to try that first and hope for the best. i took the car to the trans shop tho and the trans guy said it was shifting fine and that it maybe a pcm problem
Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There are a lot of threads here about people installing a higher-stall converter and then with WOT hit readline before shift. That is nearly always indicates the need for a PCM tune. But if you changed nothing, then retuning the PCM is just a bandaid.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

on weds im going to try changing the fluid/fliter in it and try the VSS and the TPS and see how that works im really hoping its not going to be a trans rebuild lol

Quick Reply: 4l60e shifting problem