Possible rebuild issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible rebuild issues.

Ok,so I burned the 3-4 clutches.
That's it.
I get the buddy deal from a 30yr asc mechanic(transmissions) works for the dealership. ACE MECHANIC.
Anyways.
Rebuilds trans,tear it apart to find
1-Filter was clean but had dust on top of it like it had been sitting on the shelf.(whatever)
2-(3-4 clutches) has 3 regular style, 1 High Energy, 2 Clutches that have the groves in them.(looks like somebody ran out of a complete set)
3-stock sun shell
4-stock sprags with a little wear
5-Reused some reverse clutches (no big deal)
6-no visible shift kit
$750 later
There might be a $150 in parts give or take.
I feel like I'm being screwed with out any spit.

Last edited by mred; 05-22-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

Then I'm told their is some tricks done to the trans to make it hold up to the power output I will throw at it???
Sorry but I'm confused...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

1.you will burn the same clutches up again
2. you most likely break the stock sunshell
3.IMO a shift kit will make the trans last longer
4. I would install a trans cooler if you dont already have one.
5.I would be demanding 500.00 back.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm confused by this entire thread.

You said you burned clutches and tore it down to find half *** work.

OR, are you saying you burnt it, got it rebuilt, and tore down THAT rebuild to find all this stuff...??
Old 05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Trans was burnt/broke in need of rebuild..
I had trans rebuilt,had the trans tore down by anther builder to verify what was done or not done.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mred
Trans was burnt/broke in need of rebuild..
I had trans rebuilt,had the trans tore down by anther builder to verify what was done or not done.
Gotcha, yeah you got bent over pretty bad dude. Really sorry to hear that, you should call them out publicly here on the boards so we know not to use them.

What prompted you to tear down a fresh built transmission? Did the place seem shady right away?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

had this happen to me. some douchebag fucked it up then refused to do anything.

id like to pour gas on him light it and put it out by pissing on his dead body.

but if hes a friend he should work with you but youd be surprised who your friends really are when it comes to **** like this.

tell him he screwed it up and youd like your money back. nice at first then not so nice when he starts BSing you.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm sure that mixing different types of 3/4 clutches is a very bad idea. Get a set for a 4L65E as they have 7 frictions instead of 6. I am using Raybestos GPZ105 (and/or GPZ100) which Raybestos says is the same material as the Z-pak, but in a sturdier unit.

The 2002+ stock sunshell should be fine as they were strengthen and heat treated.
Way to tell - the tabs are discolored (bluish) from the heat treating.

With a mix of 3/4 clutches, everything is suspect.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

well there is a slight pissing match now.
i am being told i have new 4 pinion planets new pump etc etc....
OMG!!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Minor point - ask what "new pump" means. Most likely just the internal rotating pump parts, which cost $40 as a kit. (If trans is apart, easy to check/confirm that too.)
Another point - ask to see the receipts for the new planets; or did he steal them from the dealership.
Major point - if you really want to play hard ball, threaten to report him to the dealership. He might not be allowed to do such "paid" work on the side, and could either lose his job or be reprimanded for it. Unless of course he pays you back or builds a good trans with good parts. Just remember that any threats can backfire, especially threats to someone's livelihood.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Minor point - ask what "new pump" means. Most likely just the internal rotating pump parts, which cost $40 as a kit. (If trans is apart, easy to check/confirm that too.)
Another point - ask to see the receipts for the new planets; or did he steal them from the dealership.
Major point - if you really want to play hard ball, threaten to report him to the dealership. He might not be allowed to do such "paid" work on the side, and could either lose his job or be reprimanded for it. Unless of course he pays you back or builds a good trans with good parts. Just remember that any threats can backfire, especially threats to someone's livelihood.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrvedit
he works for the dealership and we know he is getting parts from them.
the pump is not new,obviously.
i dont want the guy to be out any money but when im told this transmission is 600hp capable and i want my transmission guy to see what that consist of then i have the right to show him.
when my guy says he just put in mismatched clutches and new 1-2 clutches and seals and gaskets and a $40 pump kit i have reason to doubt the 600hp transmission build.
the sprags even have some good wear in them the planets have some slight wear in them as well.
but im being told these parts are new, I CALL BS

Last edited by mred; 05-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Yes, it is BS.
At a minimum, you would use 5 gear planetaries, the best Borg Warner dual-cage sprags, a Sonnax sunshell or The Beast, premium 7 or 8 friction 3/4 clutch, and a quality shift kit. A reinforced input drum with electro-hardened input shaft would be highly recommended for 600HP (or ft/lbs).
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

Yes, it is BS.
At a minimum, you would use 5 gear planetaries, the best Borg Warner dual-cage sprags, a Sonnax sunshell or The Beast, premium 7 or 8 friction 3/4 clutch, and a quality shift kit. A reinforced input drum with electro-hardened input shaft would be highly recommended for 600HP (or ft/lbs).
600ft lbs make way more sense.....
saturday all parties are all suppose to meet up.
5 gear planetaries is what i thought was going in initially,but then was told "na not that needed" thats really when i got a little confused/concerned.
i have known my transmission man for 10yrs and i know more about transmission work than most folks but no pro by any means.
but damn i know that i know that i know, that i shouldnt have gone through with the deal,but i went against my better judge meant.
shame on me
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM

GM uses the 4L65E/4L70E, which have 5-gear planetaries and a hardened input shaft, on all engines with 400+ ft/lbs. As I mentioned in other threads, even the GM/ACDeleco 5-gear planetaries are not all that expensive right now - gmpartsdirect sells them for $70-$80 and many dealers will match that. Also available on Amazon.com for an even better price.
And yes, you are partly at fault too for expecting a premium product at a bargain price. (How do I say that nicely.) With a smile?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

GM uses the 4L65E/4L70E, which have 5-gear planetaries and a hardened input shaft, on all engines with 400+ ft/lbs. As I mentioned in other threads, even the GM/ACDeleco 5-gear planetaries are not all that expensive right now - gmpartsdirect sells them for $70-$80 and many dealers will match that. Also available on Amazon.com for an even better price.
And yes, you are partly at fault too for expecting a premium product at a bargain price. (How do I say that nicely.) With a smile?
lol
are planet parts true gm parts or repops?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 PM

lol
are planet parts true gm parts not repops
YES. gmpartsdirect is a GM dealer, they only will sell genuine parts.
The part numbers are:

24241248 - Front
24241244 - Rear

Look those up on Amazon and be amazed ($65 and $75). Clearly marked as ACDelco and sold directly from Amazon. Or pay a few dollars more and get them from gmpartsdirect.com.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

YES. gmpartsdirect is a GM dealer, they only will sell genuine parts.
The part numbers are:

24241248 - Front
24241244 - Rear

Look those up on Amazon and be amazed ($65 and $75). Clearly marked as ACDelco and sold directly from Amazon. Or pay a few dollars more and get them from gmpartsdirect.com.
we typically buy all the rebuild parts from transtar,i will have to do some checking on prices thanks for the input/advice
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 PM

we typically buy all the rebuild parts from transtar,i will have to do some checking on prices thanks for the input/advice
My local trans shop said the hard parts from Transtar tend to be Chinese aftermarket parts. Also, I had them order some parts for me from Transtar and when I looked at the invoice, they were more expensive than places like http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

My local trans shop said the hard parts from Transtar tend to be Chinese aftermarket parts. Also, I had them order some parts for me from Transtar and when I looked at the invoice, they were more expensive than places like http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com.
i agree on the hard parts.
like i said i will do some research on the other hard parts and hopefully i get some money back from the first builder on Saturday.
he reused all my hard parts and is trying to say the parts are all new.
i cant wait to see the outcome on Saturday.
thanks again
Ed