Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh rebuilt 4l60e question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fresh rebuilt 4l60e question

Just got the trans back in and I have a question when it goes to what I think is od light throttle let's it slips up to about 2k at 40 and I have to let completely off the throttle for it to go into od what would cause this??
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Also I added a 3200 stall would it need tuning due to that
Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes the addition of your converter requires a tune.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I have hp tuners so I'll look tomorrow I'm thinking that the shift points and tcc lockup may need massaging now
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good idea. The stick up top about trans tuning has a ton of great info.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the HP Tuners forum, look for a spreadsheet by Bluecat. It'll get your shift points/TCC lockup points about 95% where they need to be.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Went to the stickies got the info on what to do did it and worked perfectly! Thnx guys gotta pull trans again due to
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Went to the stickies got the info on what to do did it and worked perfectly! Thnx guys gotta pull trans again due to Pump seal leaking down bell housing
Old 05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

drove it home about 120 miles and after i let the car cool off went to back out garage for another drive it acted as if there was no reverse i gave it a little more gas then it kinda dropped into reverse. i took off for the drive everything perfect all forward gears went to back up and nothing!! what would cause this i mean reverse is now like neutral nothing at all. I was looking at the powerflow sheet and all i see applied in reverse are the soleniods a&B reverse input clutch, and lo/reverse clutch i know its not the soleniods because they are on in 1st and all forward gears are perfect as well as the lo reverse clutch is applied in low range 1st and it works fine just no reverse and all that leaves is the reverse input clutch correct? Thanks for your help im really thinking about just buying a built trans and getting it over with
Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Bumpity ttt
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

The most common (or at least very common) reason for losing reverse is worn/torn teflon rings on the stator shaft; reverse fluid goes between them into the reverse drum.
Installing the pump can rip a teflon ring, especially if the builder did not keep the rings "resized" until the last minute.
Another possibility, is that the area inside the reverse drum where the teflon rings run was very worn and the reverse drum was not replaced.
When rough, a few hundred miles could wear out the teflon rings.

Do you know if the reverse drum was replaced?
Did you or a shop rebuild the trans?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The most common (or at least very common) reason for losing reverse is worn/torn teflon rings on the stator shaft; reverse fluid goes between them into the reverse drum.
Installing the pump can rip a teflon ring, especially if the builder did not keep the rings "resized" until the last minute.
Another possibility, is that the area inside the reverse drum where the teflon rings run was very worn and the reverse drum was not replaced.
When rough, a few hundred miles could wear out the teflon rings.

Do you know if the reverse drum was replaced?
Did you or a shop rebuild the trans?

I did the rebuild and didnt replace the drum so looks like ill be replacing it
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 98LS1driver
I did the rebuild and didnt replace the drum so looks like ill be replacing it
Bummer; especially having to R&R the trans. On the 2001 I rebuilt the reverse drum looked like this:
(I bought this trans off CL for $75 because it had no reverse. No surprise.)

Notice that not only is the bushing extremely worn, but the silver area between the bushings is worn too; this is where the teflon seals run and that area needs to be smooth as glass.

Assuming this is the problem and you replace the reverse drum, you might consider getting a wide band too.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Where's a good place to get a wide band from and how can I assure this is the cause of reverse failure
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 AM

Look on whatever it takes transmission parts web site. They will have all the stuff you need. If you call there ask for Bill Madox and tell him I sent you. As far as verifying the problem thats kind of a no brainer. Open it up and inspect it! Low fluid level and also a worn boost valve sleeve can cause issues with reverse. HTH Vince
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM

I bought the Alto Red Wide band from PATC; but I'm sure they are available from many sources.

To confirm the problem:
As you remove the pump, input drum and reverse drum, reassemble them upside down for an air test. I suspect the reverse test will leak air big time.
(This assumes the teflon rings are not obviously ruined.)
Then retest after making any fixes.

Other reasons reverse might fail:
1. Reverse piston seal leak.
2. Bellville plate installed upside down.
3. Leaking or mis-assembled boost valve (as Vince mentioned).

Since you had reverse at first, and then it died during normal driving, I suspect it is the reverse drum and/or teflon seals.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

what fluid do you reccommend
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM

GM recommends Dextron VI for this trans in their recent cars; it is a100% synthetic.
It is expensive at the local auto stores ($8/quart); my (very) friendly local trans shop sold me a case of 12 quarts at their cost of $48.

Since I experiment a lot and want to reuse nearly-new fluid as much as possible, I first pump out the existing fluid through the dipstick with a cheap hand pump into a spotlessly clean 1 gallon jug. (e.g. windshield washer fluid or even milk jug). I get about 3-1/2 quarts out that way. I have a drain plug on my pan; I drain into a very clean pan and get another 3-4 quarts out that way. I immediately pour that into another jug. This way no bugs or dirt get into the the fluid to be reused.
Its hard to save the remaining fluid; I'm happy when I don't spill the converter's fluid on my head.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
GM recommends Dextron VI for this trans in their recent cars; it is a100% synthetic.
It is expensive at the local auto stores ($8/quart); my (very) friendly local trans shop sold me a case of 12 quarts at their cost of $48.

Since I experiment a lot and want to reuse nearly-new fluid as much as possible, I first pump out the existing fluid through the dipstick with a cheap hand pump into a spotlessly clean 1 gallon jug. (e.g. windshield washer fluid or even milk jug). I get about 3-1/2 quarts out that way. I have a drain plug on my pan; I drain into a very clean pan and get another 3-4 quarts out that way. I immediately pour that into another jug. This way no bugs or dirt get into the the fluid to be reused.
Its hard to save the remaining fluid; I'm happy when I don't spill the converter's fluid on my head.
Most deff on the spilling on your head. Think im done tinkering with this trans seems to be more of a nightmare to me than anything and im thinking of buying a performabuilt level 2 trans and the xtra warranty plan and getting back on the road!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Got trans back out today took pix how does this look? One pic is low res and other high def

Quick Reply: Fresh rebuilt 4l60e question