Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 z28 ls1 skiping 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 z28 ls1 skiping 2nd gear

got a question, there's a local guy selling an automatic 98 z28 ls1 dirt cheap but he says the only problem is that it completely skips 2nd gear. he said hell take off in first then it revs high enough to get into 3rd then goes back to normal shifting.

how many things could cause this problem. and is it a sighn that i needs a rebuild (i see a 2k dollar bill when i hear that) or is it just something simple.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have a gear in it? I put a 3.73 in mine and under wot it won't shift from 1st to 2nd but its only bc I need a tune. It could be something simple like that
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

2nd gear is activated by applying the band. The band is also applied by 4th gear. So, if 4th gear is OK, it is not the band.
The band is applied by the servo, which has two pistons, one for 2nd gear and one for 4th. (Actually 4th gear applies both.) A seriously leaking 2nd gear piston in the servo could cause this problem. This is a trivial fix - a "Corvette Servo" is really just the 2nd servo piston and often comes with new seals - $15- $30.
However, a "busted" valve body or separator plate could cause this problem too. Rebuilt ones one ebay are about $150.
I cannot think of any major mechanical problem that would have this exact symptom, but a "major" symptom like this indicates the trans is in need of a rebuilt anyway.
What engine are you using with it? Anything near or over 400 ft/lbs is going to shred a stock '98 4L60E with many miles.
In short - even if it is a trivial fix, that it only a band-aid; it likely needs a rebuild.