Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clinking sound from transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Clinking sound from transmission

Hi,
I have a question for you . We installed your Performa built stage 1transmission and the problem is that sometimes i hear a clinking sound just before coming to a stop. Just when the transmission drops its shifts just after slowing to a full stop. Also hear this soft clinking at take off sometimes. Can you explain what im hearing? It sounds like hitting two pipes together to produce this sound. Thanks and hope to hear from you.
Other wise transmission feels strong and shifts are good.
Never heard this prior to the install.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thundir
Hi,
I have a question for you . We installed your Performa built stage 1transmission and the problem is that sometimes i hear a clinking sound just before coming to a stop. Just when the transmission drops its shifts just after slowing to a full stop. Also hear this soft clinking at take off sometimes. Can you explain what im hearing? It sounds like hitting two pipes together to produce this sound. Thanks and hope to hear from you.
Other wise transmission feels strong and shifts are good.
Never heard this prior to the install.
Hmm well cant think of much we do remove the anti cluck spring in favor of a case saver but the only thing I ever hear from that is a occasional aluminum clack like sound not a clinking. I would have to say clinking sounds more like a ujoint or the torque arm mount. Of course without hearing it just guess. Now you will also hear more noice from the drive train play also with a performance trans as the up and down shifts both are more agressive.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Hi and thank you for the response. Just got home. Ive had the u joints inspected and it looks good. Perhaps it is an aluminum Clack. Everything is away and not hitting. It could be just the shifts going into low. Everything happens fast with a shift kit. Just never felt this before. Thanks again..............
Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would replace the u joints. They are hard to inspect and give a definite opinion on, meaning they appear fine but make clinking noises. I like the Precision 234 joint, its about $20 apiece. Plus they are stronger then stock joints.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM

hi 01ssreda4 where can i buy this at and you know my drive shaft is a 1 piece no longer a 2 piece unit. I believe it came out of a camero to interchange with my ride.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Any local auto parts store will carry this joint
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 AM

01ssreda4 thank you i think i am going to change them for the heck . Sincerely appreciate the info..............Best regards and warm wishes.................
Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Teching In

if it's a camaro ? do like the trans guy was saying check the trans mount & tq-arm bushing... ( I just did them on mine )
But i don't know of any camaros that came with 2 piece drive shafts
so Im guessing it's some thing else & when doing the joints u mite want to dubill check the rear u joint. just to be shur it's still stock camaro u joint & not a cross over stile of 1 for using a drive shaft w a different size yoke.
IDK just a thout hope it helps.

ps thanks 4 the u joint part # 01ssreda4 that's next on my list
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi gore4,
i remember when i was going to change my u joints many years ago my tech told me to get rid of my drive shaft and go with a one piece shaft.Less parts to fail. I remember looking at my old 97 firebird shaft and it was not a solid piece like i have now but it was actually 2 pieces connected by joints to make it reach. Don't know why but that's how my firebid came. I'm the original owner. I will have the torque arm bushing changed and my tranny mount as well. Will post back with my findings. Just wondering what is the purpose of the control arm bushing? Thanks and best regards.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Teching In

oh ok, but now i think i know what your talking about. when u sed 2 piece i automatically was thinking or the old truck drive shafts..

but any how... it's not the control arm bushing but the torque arm bushing.
The torque arm a is like a lader bar set up, but u only have 1. It's the big brace that go's from the rearend to the trans. When u go it wiil pull up on the trans & push down on the trans when u stop.

It's bolted solid on the rearend but slides in to a bushing that's raped in a cage bracket bolted to the back of the trans. So the rear can articulate with out binding. But because of all that force poling & pushing on the back of the trans... usually what happens over time, is all that lode rips the trans mount!
If u have a stock trans mount (block of rubber bonded to 2 plates), when it gives out the torque lifts the hole trans till it hits the floor! if u have a energy or prothane mount, their is interlocking plates in side to hold it together if it brakes. when the torque arm bushing gives out the torque arm moves up & down in that cage making a smaller clunk noise.

most likely that nice new trans with fast firm shifts did in that bushing.

first thing i do when i get a new f body it get a interlocking trans mount.
now the bushing that took me some time to figer out it's hard to see.

all the part#'s i put up are black but they do come in red also.

trans mounts, all 3 are interlocking

Energy Suspension 3-1108G $23

Prothane Motion Control 7-1604-BL $22

TCI Auto 952500 $43

Now their is 2 diffident torque arm bushings.
u have to look @ the front mounting point of the torque arm & see witch 1 u will need "lips in" or "lips out"

Energy Suspension 3-1111G $13
Fits bushing with steel lips facing away from the driveshaft.

or

Energy Suspension 3-1112G $14
Fits bushing with steel lips facing toward the driveshaft.

All the part info and prices are from summitracing.com
but i would buy from Jegs <---(Good customer service & true no hassle price matching)

I'm not the best at writing so I hope that helps thundir

George #4
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Hi George, Thank you for the information you posted. It was clearly understandable. I today had my tech replace the transmission mount because it looked un healthy. Second of all we changed out the u-joints. Turned out that the noise is actually coming from the transmission. When it shifts from second to first gear upon slowing down the downward shift loosely engages into first creating the clinking or clunking sound. Its not a smooth firm crisp shift but a loose shift. Definitely not an aggressive shift. I sincerely believe it shouldn't feel like this. I just don't want problems down the road if you can feel me. Hopefully Frank will comment on this.................Best regards John from San Francisco......................

Quick Reply: Clinking sound from transmission