Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining under load TBSS

Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whining under load TBSS

This is for my 06 TBSS,

I've had a noise that sounded an awful lot like a wheel bearing hum when there is a load on the truck. So going 40mph for example it will just hum along. If I let off it would go away almost immediately.

I had the front differential rebuilt a year and half ago, long story but not confident in the job they did AT ALL so I thought maybe diff as well.

Yesterday the problem escalated by quite a bit the hum got much louder and when I let off it kind of winds down for a few seconds and then makes a sound like metal on metal for a second and then goes away. I had a leaking Power steering pump so I took the belt off and it was make noise but the hum grind noise still there with no belt I drove it down my street and if I let off same thing whines down. If I put it in nuetrual the noise seems to go away immediately.

Seems like it has to be the tranny? If it is I'm seriously considering converting it to 2WD to make this truck simplier and more fun to drive, what do you guys think?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would double check all the obvious things before you get your mind set on one component. It sounds more like a differential noise to me, but inspect the driveshaft, u-joints and yoke to make sure nothing is bent, rubbing or binding, or anything else suspicious. If you still feel that the noise may be transmission related you could drop the pan and look for any metal debris. Another idea may be to drop the driveshaft from the rearend and turn it by hand with it still in the transmission. If anything was binding within the trans you may feel it depending on what it may be. Just a thought! good luck
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice, I think I'm going to try to make it to a local shop and get a diagnosis and maybe even give them a shot at an estimate if it is a rebuild. If its the front end I'm still in the same boat because at that point I'm going 2wd.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out what it was? Im having the same issue and had the front diff rebuilt and still here a whining noise
Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

While a new member is limited to posting on an existing thread, please don't post on 5 year old threads. Active members don't want to re-read old threads and the OP is often inactive.
You should now be able to start a new thread - give us as much info as possible about your vehicle, mods, problems, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whining under load TBSS