Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best A4 transmission value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best A4 transmission value?

I am going to be installing a Procharger kit. I plan on installing a beefed up transmission to handle the extra power. I would like to have an A4 like I have stock but with a manual valve body so I can shift gears as I like and also have it strong enough to handle the extra power. I had been looking at the Monster Transmissions version of the stock trans that states it is good for 500Hp but the price has gone up on them.

What is the best value to upgrade the transmission to get the job done for the lowest price? Is there a better value than the Monster?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I own an M6 car so im not as knowledgeable as alot of people on here but this should help. If i had an a4 id swap it with a 4le80 so i could keep overdrive. Here the post by Jaberwaki in the So you wanna be fast sticky:
B. Automatic 4-Speed (A4)

"Welcome to the wonderful world of the 4L60E transmission. Let me be the first to congratulate you on entering the world of the broken trans. The 4L60E is not the cruel tyrant on drivetrain parts that its M6 brother is. It is most definitely MUCH more parts-friendly. Too parts-friendly. So friendly, in fact, that it will break itself before it will break other parts. How noble... The problem is that it does this far too often, and even in full built form, this transmission is just NOT very good for real drag racing. Most in search of 10-second and quicker timeslips find that they are just not able to do it with the 4L60E tranny. They usually end up with a TH350, TH400, or 4L80 (the 4L80 being the only one of those which has overdrive)."
Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks, will read, hoping for source.

Originally Posted by T/AWs6spd
I own an M6 car so im not as knowledgeable as alot of people on here but this should help. If i had an a4 id swap it with a 4le80 so i could keep overdrive. Here the post by Jaberwaki in the So you wanna be fast sticky:
B. Automatic 4-Speed (A4)

"Welcome to the wonderful world of the 4L60E transmission. Let me be the first to congratulate you on entering the world of the broken trans. The 4L60E is not the cruel tyrant on drivetrain parts that its M6 brother is. It is most definitely MUCH more parts-friendly. Too parts-friendly. So friendly, in fact, that it will break itself before it will break other parts. How noble... The problem is that it does this far too often, and even in full built form, this transmission is just NOT very good for real drag racing. Most in search of 10-second and quicker timeslips find that they are just not able to do it with the 4L60E tranny. They usually end up with a TH350, TH400, or 4L80 (the 4L80 being the only one of those which has overdrive)."
Yup I was planning on a 4L80E but still want to know where to get the best deal on one that is upgraded and has a manual valve body too. They have them at Monster but the price has grown higher since I first checked in to this and am hoping to find good build quality for a lower price. This is going to be a daily driver so the overdrive is mandatory. Not a drag car, if anything closer to an autocross car. I plan for a supercharger and about 500HP right now. Though I will time it at the track drag racing will not be it's primary use. I am going to have to pay for the power and for the parts to handle the power including the transmission and rear end. It can get pretty expensive so just trying to see if there are sources for transmissions such as I am looking for at lower prices that I am just not aware of. Thanks for the heads up on the sticky!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Trust me noone has a better built 4l80e look up jakesperformance.com he's a tech sponsor I have his lvl 2 running my f1a procharged camaro. If your going to do a trans brake get the upgrade.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

I'm using it as a fmvb not using the CPU to control but you can have CPU to control it as well and his trans brake is badass.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomXTC
Yup I was planning on a 4L80E but still want to know where to get the best deal on one that is upgraded and has a manual valve body too. They have them at Monster but the price has grown higher since I first checked in to this and am hoping to find good build quality for a lower price. This is going to be a daily driver so the overdrive is mandatory. Not a drag car, if anything closer to an autocross car. I plan for a supercharger and about 500HP right now. Though I will time it at the track drag racing will not be it's primary use. I am going to have to pay for the power and for the parts to handle the power including the transmission and rear end. It can get pretty expensive so just trying to see if there are sources for transmissions such as I am looking for at lower prices that I am just not aware of. Thanks for the heads up on the sticky!
Check out Jake's Performance I'm one of his builders, I'm actually at the shop right now typing this, taking a quick break from a 4L60E build I'm almost done with. I'm not even saying this to BS you, because I don't pull in any extra cash for referrals or anything like that, but we can most DEFINITELY help you with a 4L80E to more than suit your goals. We've put more R&D time into the 4L80E than any other company than GM, it's what we're most known for. We also keep the prices lower than most of out competitors, yet we offer more for the dollar.

A 4L60E in fully built form is really only good for around 600 hp MAX, unless you're the kind of guy who enjoys paying to have his transmission removed and his clutch packs replaced every 6 months or so. We prefer to set someone up to build it right once, and only once. If your power level is planned to be about 500 hp, the Stage II would work for you, but if you plan on ever going higher or adding nitrous of some sort, a billet input shaft and a billet forward hub will be something to look into.

We're having a special right now on the 4L80Es, and an extra $100 off for LS1Tech guys, so if you feel like giving us a call next week, definitely mention that.

Originally Posted by +badss+
Trust me noone has a better built 4l80e look up jakesperformance.com he's a tech sponsor I have his lvl 2 running my f1a procharged camaro. If your going to do a trans brake get the upgrade.
Thanks man! We try

Quick Reply: best A4 transmission value?