Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Build Questions - Tbrake, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4L80e Build Questions - Tbrake, etc

I'm getting ready to get the 4L80e ready for the new project. It's going to be a big turbo / smallish cubes car making ~1500fwhp. I don't want to say what the chassis is but race weight is expected to be 2800lbs give or take.

Anyways, we built the 4L80e that's in my GTO ourselves. It's nothing special really, a rebuild with good parts, Transgo shift kit, that's about it. It's been perfect with 1000fwhp for 3 years now and the weight of that car with me in it is WELL over 4000lbs. The Yank converter that I've been running has been PERFECT as well. Very happy with the piece.

Now I understand the 80e might not be the BEST trans for the new car but we want to try it anyways. This car will see a LOT of street time and even with the tall tires we want the extra gear in the 80e. We will be running a 30" tire for now but can adjust if necessary. Gear is yet to be decided. We have 4.3x and 3.73s for it but we can change it if necessary.

Anyways, we are going to build this one ourselves too. What should we do in this 80e that we may have not done in the one we built for the GTO? We want to put a trans brake in it as well, so vendors that sell them, I'm looking at you. I'm building an 80e for my Silverado as well in the next month so I'm all ears. We got some $$ to spend if necessary, but obviously the less we spend here the more we can spend elsewhere

So, thoughts? Again, I don't want to hear the "Just put a PG in... " etc. Thanks

Adam
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one? Guess I'm on my own.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add a billet input shaft, forward hub, and intermediate shaft. You may also want to upgrade to a stronger intermediate sprag. Rossler makes a good trans brake for the 4l80 and can probably supply the other parts.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Jake's performance for all those parts. I just ordered all mine last week. A lot of people seem to be happy with his t brake
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonoma
Check out Jake's performance for all those parts. I just ordered all mine last week. A lot of people seem to be happy with his t brake
X2, Jake builds a great trans.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1000+ at that weight, for 3 years? That sir, is honestly pretty impressive.

I'm one of Jake's 80e builders, we do sell rebuild kits for all power levels. Not dissing any other competitor by any means, but our 4L80E trans brake is the fastest on the market, period.

For that power level, a billet input shaft, forward hub, and intermediate shaft will be necessary. When you're that far into the 4 digit horsepower territory, you definitely want to highly consider the 36 element "Super Drum" (We actually just got our own custom Super Drums made and our implementing them in our builds this week, so we'll be selling those here shortly as well).

A few helpful tips and bits of knowledge

Highly consider rollerizing your trans. Rollerize the rear and the forward hub. You will need to machine the forward hub for this. We do rollerize every hub we send out, billet or not.

Add an extra friction and steel in the direct drum, may require machining of the piston from time to time, assuming it's an aluminum piston and not a bonded one.

Dual feed the third gear clutches, very critical to keeping an 80e alive at high horsepower levels.

I'll be honest, there's more I could add but my brain is wiped out. I had trouble even remembering that the drain plug on the bottom of guy's 80e pan was even called a drain plug earlier today. The word just simply seemed to leave my head. Give Jake a call tomorrow at the shop if you're seriously interested in a no BS, high end quality rebuild kit. Give one of us a little more details on the project and we can definitely help you pick out what you need and throw you a few more tips than what I listed above.

Jake's been pretty busy lately, so he may or may not see this thread and jump in and give his 2 cents, so I figured I would jump in here and give you some input, since it seemed like you were having a hard time getting the exact answers you were looking for
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that's awesome, thanks for the replies guys

I'm going to look into all of this a bit more. Does Jake also sell the 32 spline input shaft for the tcase for the 80e? I'm going to need to swap the 32 into my Silverado in place of the 27 when I do my swap. I'm sure we will be calling you!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
Wow that's awesome, thanks for the replies guys

I'm going to look into all of this a bit more. Does Jake also sell the 32 spline input shaft for the tcase for the 80e? I'm going to need to swap the 32 into my Silverado in place of the 27 when I do my swap. I'm sure we will be calling you!
I'm assuming you mean the output shaft for the transfer case

And yes, we sell any and all hard parts that you need, so we have should have that shaft in stock. Worst case scenario, we wait an extra day or two to get one in, but we have numerous shelves full of spare 80 parts and one big shelf filled with 80e and TH400 output shafts. Hell, I even take the time to throw them up on the lathe to polish them up so they look nice, shiny and pretty sticking out of the back of the case

Pretty much anything you need for a 4L80E, we have it and then some.

We also have two trans brakes, one that locks up when you put the shifter into manual low, then you can release the brake and shift back up to D, and now, we have our newest brake that allows you to lock in any gear, and releases just as fast, if not faster than the old one (Still testing it's release times)

One thing to note though, it does require drilling a .310-330" ish hole in the case, right above where the accumulator housing would lie. It also needs to be tapped. It's purpose is for using the supplied pass through connector to wire the brake up. If you have basic experience with crimping connections, it's a cinch.

Look forward to hearing from you, if you call you'll either talk to me, Mike our shop manager, or Jake.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No the tcase on my truck now has a 27 spline input shaft and I need to swap it to the 32 spline to match the output shaft of the 80e. I'll definitely be calling though
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try google for your case model # and find a parts wharehouse. As long as your case went behind a 400 you should be ok. You'll need a 4wd 80E output shaft too. Jake has them.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another trans builder told me Jakes is the best at 4L80Es hands down!!!

Quick Reply: 4L80e Build Questions - Tbrake, etc