Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter getting very hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter getting very hot

I need help with a torque converter problem. I have a mild 350 in a 69 camaro with a th350 and a B & M 1900-2100 stall. The motor is brand new with holley 650 comp cam lunati roller rockers and hooker headers. Also a freshly rebuilt th 350 trans. It has zero get up and go which is partly the rear gears I know but the torque converter is getting very hot in a short amount of time. I drove it 25 miles and parked it to put cpp brakes on it. After sitting in my shop for 5 hours as i worked on it I crawled under it and touched the converter with my hand and it was so hot I could barely hold my hand on it. Everything else ,,, engine oil pan and trans pan,, was cool to the touch. and this was 5 to 6 hours after parking... Im no transmission guy by any means but that cant be good
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Put the car in neutral on a flat surface, engine off and try rolling it by hand. I suspect the brakes or the new trans is dragging and you won't be able to roll it. That might explain all the symptoms.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Teching In

I thought it might be the brakes too but its still doing it after I put the new cpp disc brakes on and I checked them with it on jack stands and they all free spin good. I will give pushing it a try.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Transmissions can still be warm (above ambient) the next morning after a drive if outside temps are warm enough. A transmission will be tons hotter then an exhaust, radiator, or engine 2 hours after a drive (as an example).....and that's a fact.

To add to that, torque converters can heat up transmission fluid in the area of 300+ degrees when it is going to the cooler, it is the warmest part of the trans.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Teching In

its staying hot 7 hours after a 20 minute drive and the transmission pan was cool as it could be. nothing anywhere on the transmission was slightly warm except the converter
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

It sound to me like the sprague in the converter is not holding. If the sprague doesnt hold the converter will fight itself in fluid flow creating a lot of heat. while doing so there is no torque multiplication and the car will feel like you are pulling a stacker trailer when taking off.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
It sound to me like the sprague in the converter is not holding. If the sprague doesnt hold the converter will fight itself in fluid flow creating a lot of heat. while doing so there is no torque multiplication and the car will feel like you are pulling a stacker trailer when taking off.

Greg
pulling a stacker trailer when taking off... couldnt be described better than that. Is it fixable or do I need a new one

Quick Reply: torque converter getting very hot