Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4l60e HELP!

Just picked up a 93 Rx7 project with a 5.3/4l60e swap. My first mistake was buying someone elses "project". The car has a stock RX7 rear end with 3.90 gears.
But it has a full Hinson swap kit and technically it does run and drive. heres the problem.....

It has a Lokar shifter and linkage. I unhooked all of that, and got underneath the car just to check and make sure the lever coming out of the transmission moved from Park, Reverse, Nuetral, OD, D, 2, 1 and it does that just fine.

Hooked the shifter linkage back up and the shifter in the car does move from P,R,N,OD,D,2,1.

Well heres what is happening.

P=P
R=R
N=N
OD=2nd gear
D=2nd gear
2=1st gear
1=1st gear

Any idea whats going on here??? Any help or pointers would be very helpful! thanks!!
Oh and also- you have to shift everything manually. For instance- say I was slowly rolling along in 2nd gear and punch it (where it should kick down to 1st) it will just stay in 2nd.

Im lost. LOL.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First, are you absolutely sure the linkage is messed up? Why do you think [OD] and [D] are 2nd gear? Sorry, but I politely doubt this because even if the linkage geometry were messed up you would not be able to put the trans into 1st gear.
Your symptom that it won't downshift indicates that the transmission tune is wrong. A completely hacked transmission tune could give you the symptoms you are experiencing.
Just my thoughts and hunches.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Well, its kind of hard to explain without me actually showing you in person, I tried to explain the best I could over the internet.

What I'm trying to say is: I believe the shifter linkage is hooked up correctly.

When I pull the shifter into the position which *should be* OD....(right after neutral) the car is in second gear. When I put the shifter into the position of D, the car is in second gear. When I put the shifter into the position of 2nd gear, the car is actually in 1st gear. And when I put the shifter into the position of 1st gear its in 1st gear.

I may have just confused the situation more LOL.

Is it possible that the electronics of the transmission arent hooked up? Or the tune is way off?

The car does have a stock 2004 PCM, and the rx7 rear end has 3.90 gears...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what shifter is in the car?

are you sure its not a manual valvebody or a 3 speed?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scan the computer for codes first
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

When you say the "car is in 2nd gear", do you mean it feels like 2nd gear when you drive off because it is super sluggish? If that is the case, then:
NO, the shift linkage is working correctly and the trans is in "limp mode" and is actually driving off in 3rd gear. This indicates an electrical problem, anything from not having the connector plugged in, a wiring error in the harness or a bad solenoid in the trans.
As fat60 says, check the computer for codes!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
When you say the "car is in 2nd gear", do you mean it feels like 2nd gear when you drive off because it is super sluggish? If that is the case, then:
NO, the shift linkage is working correctly and the trans is in "limp mode" and is actually driving off in 3rd gear. This indicates an electrical problem, anything from not having the connector plugged in, a wiring error in the harness or a bad solenoid in the trans.
As fat60 says, check the computer for codes!
Now i think we are getting somehwere here. When i say "car is in 2nd gear" I mean it feels like its in 2nd because yes it takes off sluggish. Im betting there is an electrical problem somewhere because the wiring is not quite complete on the car yet. I guess for starters, Ill get it on the lift and make sure the electrical connectors are plugged in.

I wish i could just check for codes...but I'm not sure if it has the OBD port in the car.

The car has a Lokar shifter and linkage, not exactly sure which model shifter it is. And do they even make a manual valvebody for a 4l60e?

I guess this is what i get for buying someones unfinished project LOL

Thank you guys for the help! Sorry it takes me a while to respond, Ive been swamped at work

Quick Reply: 4l60e HELP!