Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I screw the pooch?? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I screw the pooch?? HELP!!!

I got my 5.3 and 4l60 in my truck just about ready to fire up and decided to bump the starter and hear it turn over.....but all i got was a clunk!! I attempted to roll it over with the crank hub and it wont turn at all. After poking around on here, I see the posts about convertor spacing and i'm not too sure about wether i got it right. When I put the two together, I didnt force anything, but I'm pretty sure I didn't spin it and get any clicks...ugh

I didnt use the bolts to pull the trans and engine together so I'm hoping I didnt ruin anything, but with my luck, I probably did....I'm pulling it all out tomorrow but am wondering what I should check on the trans to see if I screwed it up?? If I did, what will it cost to fix it???
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might make sure the shifter linkage has the trans in park, but if you didn't hear or feel any clicks when you installed the tc you probably would have had interference between the tc and flex plate...which will break your pump.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you broke the pump it will have nothing to do with allowing the vehicle to start. It just likely wont move when you put it in gear.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If the crank won't turn, I would guess that one of the converter bolts is not in all the way and has hit the back of the block. You may have to loosen all the bolts between the trans and engine to create enough clearance to turn the crank and check the converter bolts.
Just a guess; cOncEpT is right that even if you broke the pump the engine will start.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Rented an engine hoist at 9 am. took it to the storage building I have the truck in. Pulled the front sheetmetal, core support, rad, etc.Tore it down to a long block. Took it all out, nothing looked broken or damaged, reseated the converter, went to spin the motor before I put em together and it would move a little, but not a full turn....pulled the plugs, sprayed pb into the cylinders and noticed something muddy coming outta the back cylinder....muddobber nest!! shop vac'ed it out, re sprayed the cylinder, and she spun around nicely! put it all back together and back in to the truck...spun it over with the starter no problem! Closed the door at 5 pm. I'll finish putting the rest together over the weekend and hope to fire it up soon!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

mud dobber in the cylinder with plugs in it??? sneaky little bastards. they wouldve had to go through the exhaust or intake valve if they heads were on. never heard of that. how long has it been sitting?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

"Muddobber nest" - what is that???
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasps, little pita wasps. They build their nests out of concrete...nearly so anyway.

I'm sorry, that does suck...hey, at least it's not install error.

Quick Reply: Did I screw the pooch?? HELP!!!