Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift kit guys

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kit guys

I have a few questions that I need cleared up regarding stage 3 shift kits on a 4l60e.
First of all I have a 95 lt1 with the stock 4l60e. I have always wanted a manual but after looking at the idea of a t56 swap, it looks like its just going to be too much money. Then I found the Transgo stage 3 shift kit that makes it "manual" (http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes)..... Something like this. I'm just confused on what this kit actually does. How does it manually shift? Would I just be putting the shift **** at 1 then pushing it up to 2 and so on? Or does it set the shifter in a way where like pulling back shifts up and pushing it forward downshifts? That sort of thing. Just looking for some answers.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the description on the page about how "fully manual" it is, is still kind of vague. If it is a manual valve body with an auto mode, then it is manual 1,2,3 with full auto in D (which is what it appears to be). That means the trans will not shift until you move the selector through 1,2,3. Selecting D will turn it back into an auto. There are however full manual valve bodies out there that have no auto mode in D.

Then there's reverse manual valve bodies, referred to as RMVB, that reverse the whole selector pattern. That means 1st is all the way forward, Park all the way back. Pulling the selector back achieves the upshift. This kit is not RMVB.

If you drive the car everyday, you probably won't like the neck-snapper stage 3 shift, in my opinion. Stage 2 is perfect.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Philip Pugeau
Well, the description on the page about how "fully manual" it is, is still kind of vague. If it is a manual valve body with an auto mode, then it is manual 1,2,3 with full auto in D (which is what it appears to be). That means the trans will not shift until you move the selector through 1,2,3. Selecting D will turn it back into an auto. There are however full manual valve bodies out there that have no auto mode in D.

Then there's reverse manual valve bodies, referred to as RMVB, that reverse the whole selector pattern. That means 1st is all the way forward, Park all the way back. Pulling the selector back achieves the upshift. This kit is not RMVB.

If you drive the car everyday, you probably won't like the neck-snapper stage 3 shift, in my opinion. Stage 2 is perfect.
This is really the type of shifting I'm looking for.

It's in a truck but it's a 4l60e. Link to actual website: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...e-install.html

Could I get this sort of thing in my camaro?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

The TransGo "full manual" is just that. You will have to shift it to get it through all the gears. There is "no automatic mode" when this is set up as "full manual". In other words if you put in the "D" shifter position it will take off in third gear and stay in that gear till you move the shift lever. First is first, second is second, etc. I do not advise you to do this on a stock transmission. The transmission should be gone through first and setup correctly before adding this kit.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PBA
The TransGo "full manual" is just that. You will have to shift it to get it through all the gears. There is "no automatic mode" when this is set up as "full manual". In other words if you put in the "D" shifter position it will take off in third gear and stay in that gear till you move the shift lever. First is first, second is second, etc. I do not advise you to do this on a stock transmission. The transmission should be gone through first and setup correctly before adding this kit.
Why do you not advise it?
The only reason I'm wanting to do this, is so I can put a ratchet shifter in and go through the gears similar to a manual. Its not for any sort of racing or anything like that, just purely for fun and something to do on the street.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

A stage 3 shiftkit on a stock 4L60E could break things. Not only the inside, but the trans mounts, too. That is, if it hooks up and puts a significant load on the system. That's only assuming you're gonna race the crap out of it, which is what I do! ( so I tend to think in that direction)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

A stage 3 shiftkit on a stock 4L60E could break things. Not only the inside, but the trans mounts, too. That is, if it hooks up and puts a significant load on the system. That's only assuming you're gonna race the crap out of it, which is what I do! ( so I tend to think in that direction)
Would the stage 2 kit be better? I just get so bored driving around while the computer shifts itself. I want to be able to shift it.
I guess my main question that I need answered is basically this... What all do I need to be able to ratchet shift my 4l60e?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I hear you. Sometimes I want to manually shift mine, too. All it takes is a manual valve body. Having said that, it should also be complimented by a modification to your transmission to strengthen some of the parts inside. A trans rebuild is ALWAYS a good idea, and won't cost that much compared to a T56 conversion. Most notably is at what rpm/speed would you be upshifting/downshifting, and whether or not you will be using a trans blanket, as pieces of the trans can fly out of the case, through the car, and into you. Some of our concerns are for your safety, so you can continue driving around in your awesome car! Also, note that in the video, he's shifting manually on a built 4L65.

Last edited by Philip Pugeau; 10-28-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I hear you. Sometimes I want to manually shift mine, too. All it takes is a manual valve body. Having said that, it should also be complimented by a modification to your transmission to strengthen some of the parts inside. A trans rebuild is ALWAYS a good idea, and won't cost that much compared to a T56 conversion. Most notably is at what rpm/speed would you be upshifting/downshifting, and whether or not you will be using a trans blanket, as pieces of the trans can fly out of the case, through the car, and into you. Some of our concerns are for your safety, so you can continue driving around in your awesome car! Also, note that in the video, he's shifting manually on a built 4L65.
I'm just confused on how to get a manual valve body. Do the shift kits make it into a manual valve body? Also what else should I get in addition to a rebuild?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up Rosslers "little Black Box". It gives you full manual control without having to remove your valvebody. www.rosslertrans.com.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by braiden1
Look up Rosslers "little Black Box". It gives you full manual control without having to remove your valvebody. www.rosslertrans.com.
Yeah I was looking at that. Would that be a better choice than the shift kit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift kit guys