Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please settle this debate!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please settle this debate!

Hi guys, i really need a knowledgeable person to settle this little debate we are having...

A few days ago my best friend, his dad and i went to the junkyard to get transmission cores to rebuild. We stumbled upon a 2001 Silverado 2500HD. Im not sure which engine it had, but it was a gas engine due to the small exhaust piping.

The trans is still under the truck connected to the transfer case. It looks like a 4L80E to me. My buddies dad (who owns a transmission shop) is telling me that its a TH400. I didnt want to argue with the guy because he's been building transmissions for longer than ive been alive.

I believe its a 4l80E, because for one I thought the turbo 400s were REPLACED by the 4l80E.. and two I dont think the EPA would allow a vehicle to have no overdrive because of pollution, but then again I MAY BE WRONG!

Please answer this!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

99-2007 GMT800 GM truck had a TH400. Last TH400 was in the square body style and that was 1991 carryover 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Unless someone swapped it in its a 4l80e. Easy way to tell is look for the large electrical plug on the drives side.

Provide the VIN of that truck and you can easily find what the truck Originally had.

Quick Reply: Please settle this debate!