Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans- go installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans- go installed

just got my 02 t.a. back sat. from the speed shop where I had a ton of mods done and one of them was a transgo shift kit . I now have also 373 gears and my question is It goes thru the gears so fast I really dont feel any real head jurking, and just manuel shifting 1-3 Im not getting a real BANG when i shift .? Is this normal or did they not set somthing up right .? I havent yet stood on it and let it go thru all the gears at wot.I also own a 1969 firebird 400 with a auto trans. and I had that rebuilt with a shift kit and that thing will cherp the tires going into 2nd gear all by its self.Im a little here.?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st are you sure they installed the shift kit?
2nd how many washers did they use?
3rd I dont think your supposed to manually shift an electronically controlled tranny
Old 04-11-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

same happened to my friends 02 ws6. they put it in, but it wasnt chirping gears but did have a firmer shift to it.

J
Old 04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

the kits are not suppose to make for wheel chirping shifts just more presice quicker shifts that will extend tranny life the shifts u all are talking about would noy be verry good for your tranny
Old 04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

so be happy its done ight the ones who try and take it beyond that point on stock internals are the ones that end up complaining of burnt bands and clutches.... if ya has a big converter and had deleted tq management then you would be alot more likely to chirp em thru the gears but like i said wheel chirping shifts on stock internals is generally a bad idea
Old 04-11-2004, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

anyway that I could tell If they did install it.?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

You do not mention if you had a TC change, however I read that you have a 2002 model vehicle.

I believe that a Transgo shift kit, firms up the shifts by increasing the line pressure in the transmission. I am surprised it shifts correctly if you have not adjusted or deleted your aggressive torque management.

I have a 2001 Z28, and after a mild TC swap (Y3000, 2.0 STR) coupled with a transgo shift kit #3 washer, and a Super 2-4 billet servo, the vehicle ran horribley. It was not until I had it proffessionally dyno tuned, that they corrected all the problems. They had to completley delete the torque management, and adjust my shift points (both MPH & RPM), before it would dyno correctley.

SteveC
Old 04-13-2004, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Im sorry , yes I do have an after market tc, 2800-3200 they told me at the shop where i had it done that it would be alot firmer, and that aTRANSGO takes alot of time to install because of theres alot more stuff to do then If i went with just a B&M, but after I got It the shifts still drag like the stock trans. under normal exceleration.Is this normal, because I wouldnt have spent the xtra bucks to get the same perf. as I had with the stock one.I think somthings f##ked up.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have driven a '98 Camaro with a vig-3200 and a Trans-go and the shifts were just kinda had quick firm feeling, nothing that is going to really snap your neck. I bet an a4 with no stall and a 3 washer setup will give you the hard snap neck style shift you may have expected
Old 04-14-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowbird
Im sorry , yes I do have an after market tc, 2800-3200 they told me at the shop where i had it done that it would be alot firmer, and that aTRANSGO takes alot of time to install because of theres alot more stuff to do then If i went with just a B&M, but after I got It the shifts still drag like the stock trans. under normal exceleration.Is this normal, because I wouldnt have spent the xtra bucks to get the same perf. as I had with the stock one.I think somthings f##ked up.
Then I can assure you (referencing my own experience), you need to have your torque management manipulated OR deleted, for it WILL pull timing at the shift when it senses increased line pressure (that's what the transgo does mechanically) i.e. the crisper shift.

After the dyno tune, my shifts were crisper, and even. At a guess, you would also need your shift points changed, I know my vehicle did not run shift properly with the stock shift points.

SteveC