Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros: How to prep sprag races and beast roller shaft

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros: How to prep sprag races and beast roller shaft

I am building a 4L60e in a 96 vette.

I heard on forward sprag you should sand the outside of the. Inner race. What is best way to prep this, and what should I look for?

Also, is any prep needed for low roller clutch sprag? I assume you should also sand the outer surface of inner race?

I also already have beast sun shell. I will be doing 5 pinion planet with roller bearing reaction shaft. Eliminating bronze thrust washer will still leave 4 square holes in the sun shell. Is this setup OK or do I need a different shell without the washer holes?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

The inner race should be "flat" and have a mirror finish. The outer race should be rough. Sand in the direction of rotation with 36 - 40 grit. The sprag itself should have low miles or replace it. The Beast sunshell is fine with the holes. They do not present any problems. Take a small flat file and file flat the area where the bearing is going to ride on. This will eliminate any high spots. Sand flat the rear inner race where the plastic washer that sits on the Beast sunshell rides on.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Dana.

I have some additional questions, just so I get it right.

If I understand right, the inner race refers to the center section that rides inside the sprag and should not need to be touched.

The outer race on the sprag rides on the inner surface of the hub, meaning I sand the inside of the hub?

On the low roller clutch, no need to sand the hardend circular outer race, just need to make sure the flat face that the plastic thrust washer rides on is flat or sanded flat?

Trying to make sure I get this right.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by HighMileageC4
Thanks for the reply Dana.

I have some additional questions, just so I get it right.

If I understand right, the inner race refers to the center section that rides inside the sprag.....
YES

Originally Posted by PBA
The inner race should be "flat" and have a mirror finish.
The outer race on the sprag rides on the inner surface of the hub, meaning I sand the inside of the hub?
YES

Originally Posted by PBA
The outer race should be rough. Sand in the direction of rotation with 36 - 40 grit.
On the low roller clutch, no need to sand the hardend circular outer race, just need to make sure the flat face that the plastic thrust washer rides on is flat or sanded flat?

Trying to make sure I get this right.
Originally Posted by PBA
. Take a small flat file and file flat the area where the bearing is going to ride on. This will eliminate any high spots. Sand flat the rear inner race where the plastic washer that sits on the Beast sunshell rides on.
Thats what Dayna said. I will at times spin them on a lathe to make the same mirror finish that you would do on the input sprag inner race. Meaning the area that the rollers ride on. Also make sure that there are not any flat spots that the rollers will ride on this inner race. If there are flat spots you need to replace the race.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

I agree, as I do the same thing to the low/reverse inner race. Dana
Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Is this to freshen up a used sprag or are you suggesting this even for a new BorgWarner dual-cage sprag?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

A new sprag assembly will have a smooth inner race and a "machined" rough surface on the outer race. You cannot do anything to the sprag itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros: How to prep sprag races and beast roller shaft