Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to attemp an automatic Trans rebuild of a 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to attemp an automatic Trans rebuild of a 4L60E

I am amping up for a rebuild of my trans out of a 96 chevy silverado it has a 305 and an automatic 4L60E. I am waiting for my rebuild manual to come in the mail, and i have been looking around for rebuild kits. My Question is anyone have some tips for me and what is the best kind of rebuild kit that has a bang for the buck. I use my truck as a daily driver with the occasional load of fire wood and gravel. (it is a Short box with a Single cab)

any words of wisdom would be awesome and greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but there are a lot of special tools you need to disassemble and reassemble that transmission.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM

what type of tools? i ask because i have watched many videos on the topic and none were used.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

lots of tools needed.....but i rebuilt mine.....so dont let that scare ya
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Here are my words of wisdom:
If you are doing this to save money, STOP! Between the cost of the special tools and my estimate that less than half of 1st time builders get a working trans, this is not a good plan.
However, if your goal is to learn about transmissions and will enjoy the process, then go for it. Here are some threads to help you get started:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...p-rebuild.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-get-them.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...60e-parts.html

As mentioned in one of those threads, while the ATSG manual is useful, this has detailed procedures and color pictures:

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM

The most expensive tools are the teflon ring installers and resizers. I suggest paying a local privately-owned trans shop install them for you. Might cost $50, but for that you will get more than $50 of advise if you politely ask them some questions, bring in some parts to inspect, etc.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM

so my plan is to replace the clutches and Solenoids and other soft parts where are the teflon rings and what is a resizer
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KyleRomine29
so my plan is to replace the clutches and Solenoids and other soft parts where are the teflon rings and what is a resizer
You have a 16 year old trans, probably with 150,000+ miles on it. You really should replace all wear items, which includes the bushings, bearings, sprags, teflon rings and of course the clutches. A typical rebuild kit will include all these parts.

Not to be uncooperative, but once you get your books, the location of different parts like the teflon rings (in two places) will become obvious. One set is in this picture on the right-hand input shaft:

After the teflon rings are installed and stretched, they have to be squeezed down in size, they also tend to expand by themselves.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM

ok i get that so i should do the rebuild myself and let a shop do the rings i dont want to have to buy a bunch of special tools that i will only use once maybe twice i also own a 95 that has its own special issues, i would like to fix the 95 and use it as a daily driver while i rebuild the trans in the 96
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by KyleRomine29
ok i get that so i should do the rebuild myself and let a shop do the rings i dont want to have to buy a bunch of special tools that i will only use once maybe twice i also own a 95 that has its own special issues, i would like to fix the 95 and use it as a daily driver while i rebuild the trans in the 96
Exactly.
Going back to your original question about rebuild kits, many people here recommend Borg Warner Hi-Energy frictions, I have been happy with the Raybestos GPZ; so get a kit that has one of those. You should also get a new Sunshell; the new style ACDelco heat-treated ones are fine for you. A new forward sprag and a new low/reverse sprag are good ideas too. Many of the better kits includes these. Your local trans shop can sell you a kit and those parts. Although not the cheapest price, I can also recommend TruTechTrans.com (and on ebay) for the good quality and good phone service/advice. I buy a lot of parts from www.transmissionpartsusa.com, but I wouldn't recommend a kit from them because I don't know if they would include quality frictions; they also have absolutely no phone service/advice, just a warehouse.

Perhaps others can give you links to good rebuild kits with the few extra hard parts you need.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM

thanks i will take that advice
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM

A thread on rebuild kits was just started:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-rite-kit.html
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I offer "very complete" rebuild kits for these units (they include the build video) and they DO NOT require any special tools for resizing the teflon rings for the input shaft and back half of the front pump. This will save you a lot of money. You will need the low/reverse clutch apply piston tool and the spring compressor for the input drum and the reverse/input drum. These are the two major tools needed. You can remove the bushings and have the new ones installed by the local transmission shop, for $20.00 - $30.00. You will need an "inch pound" torque wrench and the normal hand tools here. Have mineral spirts or solvent for the cleaning of the "internal" parts, and have the parts that are exposed to the weather (pan, case, pan bolts, etc.) "jet washed" by a local transmission shop or auto parts that offer that service. If you have questions here, call me 909 795-1876. Dana
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

the bushing tools cost $$$ ...........so i did farm that out to a tranny shop
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the bushing tools cost $$$ ...........so i did farm that out to a tranny shop
I use this $30 set from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html

Since the sizes are not exact, you also use the old bushing for the final
step if the bushing goes below a level surface.
I have a 10- ton bearing press and used it for some of the bushings.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

good ol harbor frieght....sure beats the price on the kent moore tools !!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM

thank you very much guys i really appreciate all the great advice i will do a little more research and start my project after the holiday season thanks for all the support
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

you dont need the resizer tool if you take a small screwdriver and slowly stretch the rings then wrap them with sticky side out electrical tape as tight as you can it works awesome!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

that harbor frieght set is a real quaility set I have one as well

Quick Reply: Going to attemp an automatic Trans rebuild of a 4L60E