Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e trans rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e trans rebuild.

Hey guys I'm new here, I got a lil problem. I have a 94 lt1 Camaro that had no 3/4 gears. Reverse and 1,2 worked good. I replaced all clutches and clean up the trans and now it has all forward gears but no reverse. When in park, reverse and nuteral I feals like its in drive. Got any ideas?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a forward clutch pack clearance issue or a cross leak in reverse input drum area. Did you replace all the teflon orings on the stator shaft and the input shaft when you rebuilt it? What kind of clearance did you have on your forward clutch pack? Did you inspect the inside of the reverse input drum for scoring?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

mantycarguy is exactly right. One guess is that you installed one steel too many between the overrun and forward clutch sections. (There is no steel between the last forward friction and the separator plate.) I don't have personal experience with older units, but according to the ATSG manual, GM made changes to the overrun and forward clutches around that time and you have have mixed parts from different years.

With a trans that old, figure on replacing the reverse drum and stator shaft to be safe, and of course the teflon rings.

Quick Reply: 4l60e trans rebuild.