Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring question for A4 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring question for A4 shifter

I am in the process of finishing up a T56 to 4L80e swap in my 2002 Camaro. I am using a factory A4 shifter and have finished the mounting plate, so I need to get the wiring finished so I can put the interior back together.

I've read numerous threads that contain a lot of good info, but I'm still a little foggy on some of it. The below quote is an excerpt of one of the M6 to A4 threads.

1) When a connector/pin is specified (ie C200, pin E), is that referring to splicing the existing wire and tapping into it, or replacing that pin in the connector completely?
2) Are people splicing/tapping into these AT the PCM, or somewhere else inside the body of the car (trying to get an idea for the length of wires I'll need)

Wiring the shiftlock control and PNP switch
You are going to need to run a total of 8 wires for the 2 switches, 6 for the PNP and 2 for the shiftlock. The connector pigtails you bought from the dealer for an exceptionally high price should be labeled A-F on the PNP and A-B on the shiftlock the wires go to the following places
PNP switch:
A. Shift Lock control circuit - Black/white wire from shiftlock control solenoid (Connector C200, Pin E)
B. PCM - Orange/Black wire from the white connector (Connector C220, pin H)on the end of the engine harness (the one that is inside the car on the passenger side under the kick panel)
C. Back up Lights - Brown wire, Same connector as above (Connector C220, Pin G)
D. Ground - Light green wire in Connector C400, Pin F (not sure where this one is but I can look it up) or to a chassis ground.
E. Start circuit - Clutch override switch (on the pedal), Purple/white wire
F. Start Circuit - Clutch Override switch (on the pedal), Dark green wire

Shiftlock Control:
A. PNP switch, Pin A
B. Brake light switch
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

OK so I believe I've found where the A-F and A/B pins need to go, but I'm still foggy on where/how to tap into the lines. Do I just snip the wire where it goes into the factory connector (under the passenger kick panel, for example) and connect it directly to the lead coming off the shifter?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Surely someone that's done a swap can answer this likely dumb and obvious question.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still foggy on where I need to run these wires. If you've done this swap before and see this thread, it would be much appreciated if you could take a few minutes and help.

As you can see the plugs are wired a little different they are labled as follows

factory M6 side..................factory A4 side
A:tan----------A:tan
B:grey---------B:empty I think grey was for the skip shift
C:pink---------C:pink
D:purple-------D:purple
E:blk/wht------E:blk/wht
F:org/blk-------F:empty needed to move H up here
G:brown-------G:empty is for the back up lights
H:green--------H:org/blk is for for reverse lights
J:ylw/blk-------J:ylw/blk
K:grn/wht------K:grn/wht

now to figure out where the wiring goes since theres no park lockout sw wiring the factory clutch start wirng needs to be jumped I THINK. I hope this helps some people as I"m trying to get it right will post more with time.
The M6 is the dash wiring which will stay and adapting a A4 harness to it which seems easy so for as its just requires moving one wire and rerouting some others.
and

Wiring the shiftlock control and PNP switch
You are going to need to run a total of 8 wires for the 2 switches, 6 for the PNP and 2 for the shiftlock. The connector pigtails you bought from the dealer for an exceptionally high price should be labeled A-F on the PNP and A-B on the shiftlock the wires go to the following places
PNP switch:
A. Shift Lock control circuit - Black/white wire from shiftlock control solenoid (Connector C200, Pin E)
B. PCM - Orange/Black wire from the white connector (Connector C220, pin H)on the end of the engine harness (the one that is inside the car on the passenger side under the kick panel)
C. Back up Lights - Brown wire, Same connector as above (Connector C220, Pin G)
D. Ground - Light green wire in Connector C400, Pin F (not sure where this one is but I can look it up) or to a chassis ground.
E. Start circuit - Clutch override switch (on the pedal), Purple/white wire
F. Start Circuit - Clutch Override switch (on the pedal), Dark green wire

Shiftlock Control:
A. PNP switch, Pin A
B. Brake light switch
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

So where I need clarification....

On PNP switch:
* Wire "B" connects directly to the orange/black wire on the engine harness side of C220?
* Wire "C" connects directly to the brown wire on the engine harness side of C220?
* Wire "D" connects directly to the light green wire on the body harness side of C220?
* Wire E/F connect directly to the wires on the clutch override switch plug? (I have nothing to plug the actual connector in to after the pedal swap, I'm assuming it was part of the M6 pedal assembly)

Also, mentioned above "the org/blk wire needs to move from H to F. H is where the light green wire connects to the reverse light bulbs". I don't get this - is it saying you need to move the actual pin in the connector from the H slot to the F slot? Because I thought that's the what "Wire B" on the PNP switch connects to.

The shiftlock control, wire "B" - it says brake light switch. Trying to figure out where that one needs to go.

There is also a hole in the A4 brake pedal assembly that looks like is missing a sensor. I found a diagram that indicates this is the "Switch, stoplamp and torque converter clutch"...not sure if it wasn't included from the person I bought my pedal assembly from or if I need it...I assume I do.

I could really use some help here. Wiring/electronics and schematics are far from my forte...this is the last thing keeping the inside of my car from being done and moving on to the rest of the build.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Well I ended up running wire "B" on the PNP harness to "F" on the body harness side of the C220 connector. Wire "C" on the PNP harness to "G" on the body harness side of C220, then "D" on PNP to "H" on C220. I had my buddy who is an electrical engineer look at the schematics and the above description and this is the consensus we came to.

So the last two wires I need to run are "J" and "K" on the PNP switch. From my research, it sounds like the clutch override switch needs to be taped shut (the button the pedal sits on) and PNP "E" connected to the "purple/white" wire on this switch, and PNP "F" to the "dark green" wire.

The weird thing is, there is no "purple/white" wire, just a solid purple...then the "dark green" wire is more of a green/blue color. So I wasn't sure if the wires were slightly different colors on 2002 or something. There definitely isn't any white on the purple wire, I suppose "dark green" is subjective on the other one.

Thoughts?

Last edited by evo462; 03-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Where did you run pin A from PNP switch?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Pin A on the PNP switch goes to ground.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring question for A4 shifter-orn-blk-wire-park-neutral-position-swicth.gif  
Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply! So if I'm reading that correctly, It can be spliced to Pin E on C220? That is a BLACK/WHITE wire. Also did you splice B, C, D from the PNP switch into to C220 on the body harness side or did you replace the actual pin?

Also for Pin E, & F on PNP, what did you end up doing for this? where did you run the wires?

Lastly, for the shiftlock control, Pin A just gets spliced into Pin A on PNP switch right?

If you can help me out that'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Pin A on PNP goes to pin E body side of connector C220.
ORG/BLK wire from shift lock control goes Pin B on PNP switch. Note diode

Back-Up lights BRN wire pin C on PNP switch
Back-Up lights LT GRN wire pin D to pin H body side of connector C220. LT GRN wire

Park/Neutral switch unhook cutch switch and run pin A to pin E on PNP switch
Park/Neutral switch unhook cutch switch and run pin B to pin F on PNP switch

I hope this makes sense. I ‘m a little buzzed on NyQuil right now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Clutch Pedal Swicth.doc (94.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: doc
Back Up Swicth.doc (105.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: pdf
shift-interlock-1-of-1.pdf (30.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 01-10-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

One more diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
In-Line Connector C220.pdf (49.8 KB, 392 views)

Quick Reply: Wiring question for A4 shifter