Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write-ups on changing solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Write-ups on changing solenoids?

Anybody know of any "how to" articles on how to change solenoids? My car won't shift into 1st (starts out in 2nd), and it won't shift into 4th, even though the PCM is commanding it to go to both of those gears at times. I'm familiar with transmission internals and how they work, but I've never worked on one myself, so any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know of any how to articles.. But I can tell you that its a piece of cake changing them out... Once you have the trans pan dropped, Your 1-4 shift solenoid is on the driver side & your 2-3 shift solenoid is on the pass. side.. All you have to do is Unplug the solenoid, Then there is an horse shoe shaped pin that holds each solenoid in.. You can pull this out with a pair of needle nose pliars... Once you have the pin out the solenoid should come right out.... Replace with the new ones.. Push the pins back in (You should be able push them back in with your fingers). Plug them back up and you should be finished..... I Hope this helps......
Old 04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Man, sounds easy enough man...I'd even help ya on this, if needed..
Old 04-20-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen.. they're rarely 'bad'. Just need to be cleaned out. Most of the time they just have trash in them.. normally excessive clutch dust.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

99Pewter, I can't thank you enough man, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Adam- I may take you up on that. Not sure if I'll do it in the garage, or talk to the guys at the HP Factory... I really don't think I want to wait a week to let the trans shop get to it though.

Wilwaxu- I think mine may be due to some excessive shock. It started having problems almost immediately after I was beating around on the torque arm mount on the tranny (TA mount had slipped out of place a little). I'm going to guess the shock just wasn't good on it.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

I would do it myself If It was mine... Saves alot of time & MONEY..... Just put it in the garage, put it on the jack stands and go to it... The most agravating part is taking all the bolts out of the trans pan..... Also I dont know about much it would cost if you took it somewhere where you live , but I know here in AL. They wanted $150 for 30 min. of work.... HA!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

As easy as you've made it sound, I'm not sure why I wouldn't do this myself.

Now the real question... is it really as easy as you say..
Old 04-21-2004, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah it really is...... Maybe some more people will chime in give their opinions...... I wasnt very familiar with the 4L60E, but once you actually get under the car & take the trans pan off & look at it, its not bad @ all.... Like I said though the shift solenoids are torwards the back of the trans. closest to the rear of the car... Just unplug them & pull out the pin. Then replace with the new.... The 1-4 solenoid is on the driver side & the 2-3 is on the pass side... I hope all this helps.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Write-ups on changing solenoids?