Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 only shifts when you let off fuel. help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 700r4 only shifts when you let off fuel. help please.

ok i bought a new 88 iroc-z 5.7 700r4. it's been in garage its whole life and driven seldomly. it has accumulated 100k miles in it's life.
i brought it home noticed it wouldn't shift out of first unless you let off the fuel. so i did a tv cable adjustment. it seemed to help it will shift under normal load. heavy load it won't unless you let of the fuel. and when kicked ino passing gear it seems to go to neutral. has plenty of fluid and everything else seems fine. the tps does not controll the shifting on the tpi cars if i am right. i am not a transmission guy. so any insight would be greatly appreiciated.
i read some where to unplug the harness from the trans on these and if it shifted fine then it was the tps. but like i said i dont beleive the tps controls the trans on the cars.. i have search here and on thirdgen .org but cme up with nothing
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your cable is to tight
im not expert but have had similar problems and iirc all we did was adjust the cable
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the cable may be to tight, Or with the neutral on kickdown the input sprag may be giving way. I would loosen the TV cable just a bit and see what that does first.

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: 700r4 only shifts when you let off fuel. help please.